Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all!
    I'm trying to decide which career path I should take and was wondering if anyone has any experience in one/both and could help me out?

I have an undergraduate degree in Psychology, a PGCE in primary teaching, and have taught for one year in a mainstream primary school. I am currently studying for my Masters in Special and Inclusive Education at UCL.
    Following this year, I am in two minds about which career path I would prefer to go down and feel like I have two really good options.
    On one hand, I could go back in to teaching, with a focus on Special Educational Needs, eg. in a special school, SENCO role etc, and work my way up the school ranks. This way I think I would more hands on with the children, but having been a teacher already I know about all the not-so-fun extras that come with it... is this similar in a special school?
    On the other hand, I have always had a strong interest in Educational Psychology and have all the qualifications needed for the doctorate, and it would be a fantastic career. However I only have a few weeks left to apply, and I know it is extremely competitive, and not sure if I should undertake something so huge if I am not 100% sure!

Does anyone have any further insight and could give me an idea about the pros/cons of each etc. which I could maybe use to inform my decision?
    Thanks so much!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have been struggling with this too. Educational psychology is such a broad profession, you can work with babies, young children, and teenagers , you undertake research, you can work in departments which deal with education, social welfare and youth services, assessment centres, child psychiatry units and paediatric health centres. You're also involved in the development of educational policy, legislation and strategies to improve academic performance standards.

I have worked within SEN on a one to one basis and I am now working as an assistant ed psych, I absolutely love how I can work in different environments and I am not limited to just a classroom, I also love the research side of things, with is a big part of the position. I feel like SEN teaching is just one part of educational psychology. You have so much relevant experience and all the qualifications so you need to decide what your interests really are? Do you want to work only with supporting a certain age group in their education, social skills, behaviour. Or are you also interested in mental health, assessment, policy, conducting a lot of research and writing reports. Ed psych is also a 3 year course to be licensed so you also need to decide if you are fully committed to completing all those hours of practical training and studying.

Please feel free to message me if you need anymore help

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.