Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi .. applied for childcare grant and was initially told I would get about £123 a week for a child. I am a full time student and my partner's income is about £12k a year
    When I called a couple weeks back I was told to expect first payment on 13/10/17, when I didn't get anything I called up and was told I would not be paid anything because of my household income ..my total household income is less than. £25k and we are not in receipt of any benefits and support. My baby is already at nursery based on earlier communication that we would get at least £123 a week.

Please advise how we can get this rectified. What is the income threshold? Why were we promised first then withdrawn. Why hasn't been communication to advise us this would be withdrawn

Thanks
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zwa)
    Hi .. applied for childcare grant and was initially told I would get about £123 a week for a child. I am a full time student and my partner's income is about £12k a year
    When I called a couple weeks back I was told to expect first payment on 13/10/17, when I didn't get anything I called up and was told I would not be paid anything because of my household income ..my total household income is less than. £25k and we are not in receipt of any benefits and support. My baby is already at nursery based on earlier communication that we would get at least £123 a week.

Please advise how we can get this rectified. What is the income threshold? Why were we promised first then withdrawn. Why hasn't been communication to advise us this would be withdrawn

Thanks
    Hi Zwa,

All income sources are added together to confirm the total household net income. A disregard is then applied dependant on the student’s situation.

The applicable disregard is determined by your situation during the academic year. The disregards we use are set by The Department for Education (DfE).

Eligible student is not a lone parent and has one dependent child
    £8,473
    There is no actual figure as every student has a different situation, depending on how many children and cost of childcare.

Once we apply the disregard, we add up all the grants you may be entitled to and if the income is higher, you will be overscale for GFD's. or if just under ypu may be awarded partial grants.

If your situation changes during the academic year, for example childcare costs increase, you can send us in a CCG1 and be reassesed for GFD'S

I hope this has been explanatory.

Thanks Rona

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rona SFE)
    Hi Zwa,

All income sources are added together to confirm the total household net income. A disregard is then applied dependant on the student’s situation.

The applicable disregard is determined by your situation during the academic year. The disregards we use are set by The Department for Education (DfE).

Eligible student is not a lone parent and has one dependent child
    £8,473
    There is no actual figure as every student has a different situation, depending on how many children and cost of childcare.

Once we apply the disregard, we add up all the grants you may be entitled to and if the income is higher, you will be overscale for GFD's. or if just under ypu may be awarded partial grants.

If your situation changes during the academic year, for example childcare costs increase, you can send us in a CCG1 and be reassesed for GFD'S

I hope this has been explanatory.

Thanks Rona
    Dear Tina

Thank you for your timely response . Please kindly clarify what is higher income. What frustrates me is that we were initially told we qualify and would get the £123 if we fail to submit childcare details which we did, then we were told funds will be made available on 13 Oct, when the funds didn't come and we followed up we were told we are on higher income when our current annual income isn't even 20k ...we were told we won't even get a letter to advise us the same but can request for one in writing ... Now we have to pay nursery for current month , give them notice and pay during that month as well, we can't afford that! We barely managing to pay mortgage and bills ... It's really frustrating
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zwa)
    Dear Tina

Thank you for your timely response . Please kindly clarify what is higher income. What frustrates me is that we were initially told we qualify and would get the £123 if we fail to submit childcare details which we did, then we were told funds will be made available on 13 Oct, when the funds didn't come and we followed up we were told we are on higher income when our current annual income isn't even 20k ...we were told we won't even get a letter to advise us the same but can request for one in writing ... Now we have to pay nursery for current month , give them notice and pay during that month as well, we can't afford that! We barely managing to pay mortgage and bills ... It's really frustrating
    Hi Zwa;

How grants for dependants is worked out is not the easiest to explain, I've tried to explain it as simply as I can.

Once we deduct from the household income, the disregard for your situation,
    the figure I advised earlier that is applicable to you, as you have a partner and one child.
    The assessors then add up all the grants you are applying for and deduct that amount.
    If the figure left is higher,then you are not entitled to any supplementary grants and are deemed overscale.

I apologise if you have been given the wrong information in the past, an advisor can only advise you on what grants you can apply for and may be entitled to.

Only an assessor can really work out your entitlement.

For a detailed breakdown, how this is calculated, you would need to request this in writing.

Thanks Rona

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.