Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing my LLB and considering where to go next. Obviously in order to practice law I need to complete my LPC however I really want to do my LLM in international crim law at Sussex. The obvious barrier here is finance, as a scottish student in England I'm entitled to 4500 in fees as a loan for one postgrad course and even that is a struggle to cover the rest of the fees for the LPC. The LLM is cheaper but I've heard people say it can do more harm than good when applying for a TC? Am I better to spend more money now to do my LPC or pursue my LLM now?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rebbie95)
    I'm currently doing my LLB and considering where to go next. Obviously in order to practice law I need to complete my LPC however I really want to do my LLM in international crim law at Sussex. The obvious barrier here is finance, as a scottish student in England I'm entitled to 4500 in fees as a loan for one postgrad course and even that is a struggle to cover the rest of the fees for the LPC. The LLM is cheaper but I've heard people say it can do more harm than good when applying for a TC? Am I better to spend more money now to do my LPC or pursue my LLM now?
    The LLM will only help if you want to do Criminal law. Any area outside of that and the LLM could put into question your motivations.

You can now get PG funding for the LPC if you do a masters course with the LPC integrated. BPP and UoL provide courses that (should - last time I checked) be covered by PG student finance - http://www.bpp.com/bpp-university/st...graduate-loans

If you are going into Criminal law then be aware you might have to self fund the LPC anyway, and will still need to do it whether you have an LLM or not.

ReputationRep:
    Doing LLM with LPc one year course is tougher than law bsc ? and why?

thank you
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vicky11)

thank you
    Because they have to make it the equivalent of a Masters course, and there are frameworks in place to meet level 7 standards.

I don’t know what you mean by Bsc. There aren’t typically law Bsc courses and any batchelors degree would only be to level 6 standards anyway (plus you couldn’t do it in a year).
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vicky11)

thank you
    The LLM with the LPC tougher than an LLB? They should be. As J-SP says it should be to a level-7 (i.e. master's) standard. But the LLM with LPC isn't very "academic" and therefore isn't very difficult. People in the past have equated it to taking GCSEs all over again. Ordinary LLMs, i.e. the academic ones, while more relaxed, are much more advanced than an LLB and I would say more difficult.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.