Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Facebook's Awful Messaging System.... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Is anybody who is on Facebook fed up with how people can still send you messages, even if they're not Friends with you on the site?

ReputationRep:
    You can disable this if you have a dig in the settings.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LastSonOfKrypton)
    Is anybody who is on Facebook fed up with how people can still send you messages, even if they're not Friends with you on the site?
    It comes in useful sometimes. But I've had people I'm not friends with constantly message me. I ignore. And repeat.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Sets up stuff like this though.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you just alter your settings so you stop receiving these messages?

ReputationRep:
    just read the post above....

i gayview mahat

:toofunny:

genius !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arneldfad)
    You can disable this if you have a dig in the settings.
    Unfortunately Facebook doesn't have any settings that allow you to limit who can contact you, apart from Timeline posting of course, messaging is still available. There is two messaging folders in FB... the Recent from Contacts and the other is Message Requests Folder...

Facebook use to give the user the option to limit who could message you in the How You Connect privacy settings... but since Facebook updated removing Private Profiles on Facebook making them publicly searchable... the option to restrict who messages you, was removed.... meaning anybody with a Facebook account who isn't friends with you, can still send you messages.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately Facebook doesn't have any settings that allow you to limit who can contact you, apart from Timeline posting of course, messaging is still available. There is two messaging folders in FB... the Recent from Contacts and the other is Message Requests Folder...

Facebook use to give the user the option to limit who could message you in the How You Connect privacy settings... but since Facebook updated removing Private Profiles on Facebook making them publicly searchable... the option to restrict who messages you, was removed.... meaning anybody with a Facebook account who isn't friends with you, can still send you messages.
    So what's the problem? You don't get notifications for message requests, and you don't see them unless you actively look for them??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    So what's the problem? You don't get notifications for message requests, and you don't see them unless you actively look for them??
    You still get a notification from Facebook the person wants to connect with you, but from a bullying point of view.... this allows anybody to harass someone on their account with multiple accounts allowing them to terrorize that person...

If Facebook allowed the option to say ok Messages allowed from Friends Only instead of everyone... Problem would be solved..

If you can restrict who see's your posts on Facebook Timeline.... why not restrict who can message you as well...

ReputationRep:
    It’s never happened to me
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    You still get a notification from Facebook the person wants to connect with you, but from a bullying point of view.... this allows anybody to harass someone on their account with multiple accounts allowing them to terrorize that person...

If Facebook allowed the option to say ok Messages allowed from Friends Only instead of everyone... Problem would be solved..

If you can restrict who see's your posts on Facebook Timeline.... why not restrict who can message you as well...
    So ignore it...? I've never had a notification when a message has gone into my message requests - I'll notice it weeks (sometimes months) after it landed when I click on the wrong tab in Messenger.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

This thread should most likely be in the Tech forum. I’ll just tag AngryJellyfish to get this moved over there

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.