Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

“Merkel is the leader of the free world” Watch

ReputationRep:
    Since the election of Trump as US President, I always hear from people against his presidency that Merkel is the new leader of the free world. Utter *******s.

You may not like Trump, and I certainly take issue with his protectionism, but that does not mean he isn’t the leader of the “free world”. The US still holds a very large concentration of the world’s military and economic power, the most for any single one nation. The US is still the go to country by many for military and economic aid as well as diplomatic support.

Merkel is pretty powerful yes. Germany has a very strong economy, thanks to the combination of free market policies, fiscal discipline, an artificially weak exchange rate which boosts exports and a high-skilled labour market. Militarily though Germany does not even come close to the United States. Even if Germany matched US GDP levels of spending on defence, they would be nowhere near the might of the Americans. Not to mention that the US is a foremost nuclear superpower and Germany isn’t. You can’t separate geopolitical leadership from firepower.

Trump is still the de facto leader of the free world, even if he doesn’t display the so-called liberal values which many self-defined liberals (not in the classical sense of the word) associate with the “free world”, though in reality the free world is a complex and diverse amalgamation of democratic nations with differing value systems.

Merkel on the other hand is the leader of a regional economic power whose decision to let in over a million migrants unscreened (many of whom are not even legitimate refugees) has divided her country, created a rift with Central European EU countries like Hungary, encouraged the popularisation of the far-right in Germany and led to a weaker governing coalition.

Like him or hate him, Trump is top of the league when it comes to global power. Declaring Merkel the leader of the free world is just platitudistic hyperbole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sycatonne23)
    Trump is still the de facto leader of the free world, even if he doesn’t display the so-called liberal values which many self-defined liberals (not in the classical sense of the word) associate with the “free world”, though in reality the free world is a complex and diverse amalgamation of democratic nations with differing value systems.
    That's the criteria people making the comment are applying though, and you haven't really explained why those criteria are flawed.

I think it's a stupid phrase anyway, but I understand the logic.

ReputationRep:
    Since the election of Trump as US President, I always hear from people against his presidency that Merkel is the new leader of the free world. Utter *******s.

You may not like Trump, and I certainly take issue with his protectionism, but that does not mean he isn’t the leader of the “free world”. The US still holds a very large concentration of the world’s military and economic power, the most for any single one nation. The US is still the go to country by many for military and economic aid as well as diplomatic support.

Merkel is pretty powerful yes. Germany has a very strong economy, thanks to the combination of free market policies, fiscal discipline, an artificially weak exchange rate which boosts exports and a high-skilled labour market. Militarily though Germany does not even come close to the United States. Even if Germany matched US GDP levels of spending on defence, they would be nowhere near the might of the Americans. Not to mention that the US is a foremost nuclear superpower and Germany isn’t. You can’t separate geopolitical leadership from firepower.

Merkel on the other hand is the leader of a regional economic power whose decision to let in over a million migrants unscreened (many of whom are not even legitimate refugees) has divided her country, created a rift with Central European EU countries like Hungary, encouraged the popularisation of the far-right in Germany and led to a weaker governing coalition.

Like him or hate him, Trump is top of the league when it comes to global power. Declaring Merkel the leader of the free world is just platitudistic hyperbole.
    i'm not the necrophilliac arthur chase, thats a different, Arthur chase

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael Spearing)
    i'm not the necrophillia arthur chase, thats a different, Arthur chase
    necrophilliac*
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as Donald Trump has failed at any point to demonstrate any kind of leadership ability, from suggesting that Neo-Nazis who murdered someone protesting their support of genocide had "many good people", to mocking the leader of a city devastated by one of the, if not the, worst hurricane(s) in history while sitting on his hands instead of providing aid, to regularly using twitter to call for authoritarian measures to be put in place against his critics and goading a foreign power into potential nuclear war (not to mention specifically inciting a foreign power to tamper with an election, which under US constitutional law is treason, and the fact that said foreign power may have obliged)...

Calling him a "leader" of anything is frankly, laughable. The giant tangering tinted buffoon/baby of the free world, would be more accurate.

Conversely Merkel demonstrates many qualities of a good leader and wields considerable influence that is not purely by virtue of office and military might, which is the quality of a good leader.

ReputationRep:
    But the leaders of the free world are just little boys throwing stones..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    Seeing as Donald Trump has failed at any point to demonstrate any kind of leadership ability, from suggesting that Neo-Nazis who murdered someone protesting their support of genocide had "many good people", to mocking the leader of a city devastated by one of the, if not the, worst hurricane(s) in history while sitting on his hands instead of providing aid, to regularly using twitter to call for authoritarian measures to be put in place against his critics and goading a foreign power into potential nuclear war (not to mention specifically inciting a foreign power to tamper with an election, which under US constitutional law is treason, and the fact that said foreign power may have obliged)...

Calling him a "leader" of anything is frankly, laughable. The giant tangering tinted buffoon/baby of the free world, would be more accurate.

Conversely Merkel demonstrates many qualities of a good leader and wields considerable influence that is not purely by virtue of office and military might, which is the quality of a good leader.
    I agree with most things you’ve said about him but have to disagree on North Korea. Trump’s words may be more bellicose, but his policy is exactly the same as Obama’s, that is tighter sanctions and hope for the best.

On the question of Russian interference, I am highly sceptical. Trump lost the popular vote. His victory was carried by narrow wins in usually Democratic rust-belt states due to his rhetoric on trade (many of these states have suffered from the exodus of factory jobs). If not for that, he’d have lost. Russia probably did try to help him win, but that does not mean he won because of them. Also, I think Americans complaining about foreign powers interfering in their political processes is a tad bit hypocritical when you look at the disastrous consequences of American led foreign policy in the Middle East over the last 17 years, or Iran in 1953, or Latin America in the 60s-80s.

Merkel’s influence is purely down to Germany’s economic dominance in Europe which is actually the product of her party’s pro market attitude rather than any special actions on her part. If anything, you can say that Merkel’s attitudes to the Eurozone have inflicted immense suffering on poorer Euro countries. Merkel’s migratory policy has permanently destabilised Europe’s external borders.

In the real world, leadership is about military and economic might, of which the US has the plurality of. So long as the US remains a liberal democracy, which I doubt Trump will be able to change, whoever is the US President will be the de facto leader of the free world.

ReputationRep:

Wrong Germany are nowhere near as powerful as USA. USA and UK are two most influential nations in the world. USA being number 1 and UK being number two and you could argue if we had the same land mass and population as USA we would be top afterall they did copy our constitution and made amendments to it over years

ReputationRep:
    A leader, he is surely not. You must be jesting.

No one but his acolytes give a **** what he says, either.

ReputationRep:

Merkel is an NWO puppet.

ReputationRep:
    The US has a higher GDP, larger military and far larger overall importance than the entirety of the European Union, anyone saying otherwise is deluding themselves.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Anybody who pretends that the leader of the free world's not the head of the most powerful country in existence (the US) is just coping, srs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    Seeing as Donald Trump has failed at any point to demonstrate any kind of leadership ability, from suggesting that Neo-Nazis who murdered someone protesting their support of genocide had "many good people",to mocking the leader of a city devastated by one of the, if not the, worst hurricane(s) in history while sitting on his hands instead of providing aid, to regularly using twitter to call for authoritarian measures to be put in place against his critics and goading a foreign power into potential nuclear war (not to mention specifically inciting a foreign power to tamper with an election, which under US constitutional law is treason, and the fact that said foreign power may have obliged)...

Way to mischaracterize the event; there were good people and bad people on both sides. How could that be, you say? Firstly, a lot of people who call themselves alt-right and showed up to that event, are anything but. They're just right-wingers who like trump, most of them weren't neo-nazis they were anything but. Moreover, the opposing side has been attacking property, innocent people, preventing people from going to work, and so on. There's a reason a professor who happened to be antifa went to jail, they didn't throw him in there for being a peace-lover. They threw him in there because he went about hitting others with bike locks.

To be quite literal, antifa is a violent mob and they're not shy about touting this either (http://thehill.com/policy/national-s...e-is-necessary). Which is probably why the Department of Homeland Security and FBI warned of more attacks, and deemed them a terrorist organization in confidential documents (http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...nce-fbi-242235). I'm not going to say everybody on the left protesting that day was violent, and I wouldn't say everybody who counter protested is a nazi. Given the history of the groups at hand it makes 0 sense to paint one group who has attacked others of opposing views incessantly as the "victim". It's much more complex than that.

The power of the purse lies with Congress. That's why we had things like the following during Hurricane Sandy: https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Hurricane_Sandy_relief_bill

The president can't authorize aid without congressional approval, it's very easy to blame everything on the president, which is also why idiots consistently get reelected.

There has also been no evidence presented yet to the demos of collusion with Russia so I shrug my shoulders. If new evidence comes out I'll reevaluate my position, 'til that point I'm disregarding it as a myth.

Yes, she does, like inviting millions of people over as refugees, without consulting the other countries who would be affected. That's the epitome of a great leader.

ReputationRep:
    If Merkel or the US president is described sincerely as the leader of the 'free' world then that world really has lost all sensible meaning.

The OP claims the US remains the leader of rhe free world because of its huge military prowess. To me the ability to violently suppress opposition does not make you someone free people should follow.

Also the US gas one of the most complex, furthest reaching surveillence structures ever to be constructed in human history. How does that represent the leadership in being free?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.