Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I am currently in my 2nd year after previously suspending it due to medical reasons. I received a letter this morning saying that I won't be able to get a tuition fee loan for this year because I had '1 year' of study on a previous course in addition to this year and unless I send evidence from a professional person such as a doctor I will not receive tuition funding for the year, which is fine, I was placed into a special support loan which required the same information and I was in the process of sending the necessary information.

My SF homepage shows my application as complete (no longer requiring the special support evidence) and I have been given my letter of entitlement showing my tuition fee at £0. To change back to a special support loan would I need to phone and speak to someone or would I just need to send the necessary evidence.

My problem and the main reason for opening this discussion is what are my options for next year. The ‘1 year’ on another course that is stopping me from receiving payment is to the best of my knowledge the year I never even started the course or finished the student finance for that year. I dropped out two weeks before the course even began due to personal reasons. I don’t see why this should affect my future studies, so again, my main question is what are my options going into next year?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Lewis.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LPSmith230)
    Hey,

I am currently in my 2nd year after previously suspending it due to medical reasons. I received a letter this morning saying that I won't be able to get a tuition fee loan for this year because I had '1 year' of study on a previous course in addition to this year and unless I send evidence from a professional person such as a doctor I will not receive tuition funding for the year, which is fine, I was placed into a special support loan which required the same information and I was in the process of sending the necessary information.

My SF homepage shows my application as complete (no longer requiring the special support evidence) and I have been given my letter of entitlement showing my tuition fee at £0. To change back to a special support loan would I need to phone and speak to someone or would I just need to send the necessary evidence.

My problem and the main reason for opening this discussion is what are my options for next year. The ‘1 year’ on another course that is stopping me from receiving payment is to the best of my knowledge the year I never even started the course or finished the student finance for that year. I dropped out two weeks before the course even began due to personal reasons. I don’t see why this should affect my future studies, so again, my main question is what are my options going into next year?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Lewis.

Hi Lewis,

If we are advising that your funding is blocked then we would need receive evidence of CPR, as you have already been advised.

That would be a letter on headed paper, written by a health professional or someone professional aware of the situation.

The letter needs to detail the issues you experienced in the academic year concerned and how this affected your studies and the reason why you could not continue your studies.

This would be reviewed on a case by case basis by an assessor, if accepted you will be awarded an additional year of support.

If we are calculating a year of previous study, where you were not in attendance and did not receive any payments, then you would have to call us to confirm this and if that is the case we would then need the university at the time to advise that you did not attend.

Once received we would no longer use this year when calculating your future support.

Thanks Rona

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.