The Student Room Group

Student Loan Eligibility

Hi, I am due to complete an NHS course in 2019 which I have a NHS Bursary for. If I was to then complete another 3 year NHS course after that, would I be eligible for the full student loan. Thank you
Original post by KAJS
Hi, I am due to complete an NHS course in 2019 which I have a NHS Bursary for. If I was to then complete another 3 year NHS course after that, would I be eligible for the full student loan. Thank you

Hi KAJS,

What is the qualification you will gain in 2019 and can you advise what the next NHS course subject and qualification that you are looking to undertake ?

Thanks Rona
Reply 2
I will gain a BSc Occupational therapy and I'm am hoping to do a BSc Midwifery after that with student loan funding.
Original post by KAJS
I will gain a BSc Occupational therapy and I'm am hoping to do a BSc Midwifery after that with student loan funding.

Hi =KAJS

From 2017, new students studying Nursing, Midwifery and Allied Health Professional students may no longer be eligible to receive the NHS bursary; this means that these students can apply to receive full support from student finance.

NHS students that attract an NHS Bursary are only entitled to a Reduced Rate Maintenance Loan, therefore if the student has had previous study this will not affect this core entitlement.

NHS designated courses are also ELQ exception courses. This rule still applies when a student holds a qualification higher than their new course, for example a Masters qualification.

DfE have now confirmed that there is one exception to this. This is when the customer is already registered in the healthcare profession that they are looking to study.

Thanks Rona
Reply 4
Thank you so my understanding from this is that I will be able to receive a full student loan. Is that correct? Thank you
Original post by KAJS
Thank you so my understanding from this is that I will be able to receive a full student loan. Is that correct? Thank you

Hi KAJS,

I can only advise under the current rules and support available for 2017 academic year.

We cannot confirm on future academic years as support available can change.

Currently, previous time spent on NHS courses will count as Previous Study as normal if the new course is non-NHS and the Previous Study Calculation will apply.

NHS designated courses are also ELQ exception courses. This rule still applies when a student holds a qualification higher than their new course, for example a Masters qualification.

DfE have now confirmed that there is one exception to this. This is when the customer is already registered in the healthcare profession that they are looking to study.

So currently you would be eligible to apply for full support but whether that may change in the future I cannot confirm.

I would advise that you contact us nearer the time, when the applications and funding guides become available for the academic year concerned.

Thanks Rona
Reply 6
Thank you so much for all the information provided that has been very helpful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending