Turn on thread page Beta

Mystery 'Cakey' red precipitate structure formed in vanadium practical watch

ReputationRep:
    I am a first year undergraduate and in my inorganic module we have recently undertaken a practical to find out various oxidation states of Vanadium. To start we made a stock solution by dissolving 2g of ammonium metavanadate (V) with 1.0 mol.dm-3 20 cm3 of sodium hydroxide. This we then added 35.0 cm3 sulphuric acid (1.0 mol.dm-3 ) and made the volume up to 250cm3 with deionised water. It was after the addition of the sulphuric acid that we observed the yellow solution and a red/brown precipitate/solid that then settled to the bottom of the volumetric flask. The solution was meant to be yellow with none of this precipitate so our initial thoughts are that a salt has been formed but to no avail have we found out what it is. Does anyone have any ideas of what was formed?
    Thank you in advance !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeannette98)
    I am a first year undergraduate and in my inorganic module we have recently undertaken a practical to find out various oxidation states of Vanadium. To start we made a stock solution by dissolving 2g of ammonium metavanadate (V) with 1.0 mol.dm-3 20 cm3 of sodium hydroxide. This we then added 35.0 cm3 sulphuric acid (1.0 mol.dm-3 ) and made the volume up to 250cm3 with deionised water. It was after the addition of the sulphuric acid that we observed the yellow solution and a red/brown precipitate/solid that then settled to the bottom of the volumetric flask. The solution was meant to be yellow with none of this precipitate so our initial thoughts are that a salt has been formed but to no avail have we found out what it is. Does anyone have any ideas of what was formed?
    Thank you in advance !

I would think you're making V2O5.

all the ingredients are there and Vanadium is in the correct oxidation state, also, read the section here on acid base reactions of V2O5

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanadi...base_reactions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MexicanKeith)
    I would think you're making V2O5.

all the ingredients are there and Vanadium is in the correct oxidation state, also, read the section here on acid base reactions of V2O5

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanadi...base_reactions
    Thank you! That makes so much more sense now

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.