Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What sort of salary to live in a house costing £400-500k? Watch

ReputationRep:
    In the future I'd like my salary to be about £40k a year. Let's presume I have a gf/wife and she earns the same. We'd earn £80k a year in total. What sort of house could we live in without struggling to get by each month as all our money is going on the mortgage?

What sort of combined salary would be needed to live in a 400k-500k house?

Outside of London but not in the countryside (maybe a small city in the south of England).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dylantombides)
    In the future I'd like my salary to be about £40k a year. Let's presume I have a gf/wife and she earns the same. We'd earn £80k a year in total. What sort of house could we live in without struggling to get by each month as all our money is going on the mortgage?

Outside of London but not in the countryside (maybe a small city in the south of England).
    100-125k total household income so yourself or yourself but partner
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    £500K about £150,000 between both.

ReputationRep:

Typically you'd buy a cheaper property first, get more equity, then trade-up. You'd need to save a reasonable deposit, which varies depending upon how careful banks are being at the time.

If you believe that house prices will go up steeply, you may want to buy as expensive a property as you can, as early as you can. Otherwise, if you think that prices may stagnate, it's better to start cheaper and pay off your loan more quickly, whilst you have lower costs.

ReputationRep:
    For a £500k house, I'd want to have a good deposit to secure as low a rate as possible. That used to be 15%, but will have changed. I'd then want a mortgage payment that could be paid, at least for a few months, on a single salary. That could also be achieved by keeping a saving buffer of a few months payments. You may also want a reasonable length fixed-rate if you're stretching yourselves.

If you're expecting rapid income growth, that may also factor into your decision.

Also be careful about using income multipliers, especially if you're paying a high tax rate and student loan repayments.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 18, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.