Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just wanted to have a bit of a rant and ask for some advice. I've been learning to drive for what feels like forever and have had 50+hours of lessons. I am pretty nervous when it comes to driving anyway and feel like I don't fully understand the roads/roundabouts. Understandably, my instructor says that I am not ready for my test and should wait till January. However, there will be changes made to the new test which includes following a satnav and all sorts of other things which makes me even more nervous at the thought of it. I feel like my driving ability isn't too bad but I know ans my instructor always tells me how my confidence is what is holding me back. I don't always manage a lesson every single week without fail because of my health or often my instructor won't give me 2 lessons a week even though I have asked. I feel like everyone else around me who is younger than me or hasnt had that many lessons are all passing and I just feel that I am lagging behind. I am 19 now and feel like I am not progressing with my driving and just don't know what to do. My instructor has told me that I should buy a car and practise in it n stop lessons for a bit. I can't do this at the moment because of how expensive provisional insurance is and I'd be even more anxious at the thought of driving in a car without dual controls in when I haven't passed. I just don't know what to do atm and would love some advice because I've been told that it will click eventually but I think my switch has just never been on. I also don't want to change instructors because it will take weeks for another instructor to get a feel for the way I drive. Just don't know what to do and really need help. Xoxo.

ReputationRep:
    I know you aren't keen on changing instructors, but if your current one can't give you the hours you have asked for, it might be better to find someone who can. Also, you never know, they may have a different teaching style which makes you more confident driving!

Another thing that can help is if you have a parent that can drive, you could practise driving with them.

ReputationRep:
    Getting insurance with a provisional licence isn't actually that expensive. Its nothing like as much as when you have a full licence at your age.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.