Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The entry requirements for my course are A*A*A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DetectiveMe)
    No. The offer rate is 32%. The majority of people who get offers will probably exceed the requirements and be predicted 3 or 4 A*s; if there are any remaining places those will go to those predicted A*A*A. Why would they give you an offer that it doesn't look like you'll be able to meet?

It's just a waste of one of your options to be honest. You only have 5.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Probably not - they're heavily subscribed in general and Physics isn't an "unpopular" course there. If your teachers have some reasoning for not predicting you A*A*AA+ but they believe you can achieve it, and write this in their academic reference, then maybe. But unless your school has a policy against predicting multiple A*s or something for some reason it's unlikely they'll consider your application very far...

To my knowledge they don't use an admissions assessment which would potentially be able to ameliorate this. Certainly however you can apply to hope for the longshot they'll make you a higher offer than your prediction and then achieve that, but you may be better advised to reapply during a year out (but if you're that committed to Imperial then you may as well apply this year as well anyway for the off chance - just appreciate this isn't something you should rely on, by any means).

ReputationRep:
    Why not apply? Four A-levels is very difficult, and I think that fourth A more than makes up for the lack of a second A*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    Probably not - they're heavily subscribed in general and Physics isn't an "unpopular" course there. If your teachers have some reasoning for not predicting you A*A*AA+ but they believe you can achieve it, and write this in their academic reference, then maybe. But unless your school has a policy against predicting multiple A*s or something for some reason it's unlikely they'll consider your application very far...

To my knowledge they don't use an admissions assessment which would potentially be able to ameliorate this. Certainly however you can apply to hope for the longshot they'll make you a higher offer than your prediction and then achieve that, but you may be better advised to reapply during a year out (but if you're that committed to Imperial then you may as well apply this year as well anyway for the off chance - just appreciate this isn't something you should rely on, by any means).
    Not too related to the original question but I thought that Imperial used the PAT also?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlashaRussia)
    Not too related to the original question but I thought that Imperial used the PAT also?
    I thought they had previously, but as seen here they do not currently require it - the only admissions tests required are the BMAT for BMS and medicine, MAT for all Maths courses, and their own Chemistry test for Chemistry courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DetectiveMe)
    Yes. If you look at what they say about their entry requirements, your predictions are in-line with them (albeit at the low end):
    (Original post by https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/courses/physics-department/physics-msci/#entry-requirements)
    Subject and grade requirements (2018 entry)

We expect applicants for 2018 entry to meet the following grade requirements in these subjects:
    • A* in Mathematics
    • A*/A in Physics
    • A*/A in another subject

You can also ask them. They don't usually bite, but may take a little time to get back to you.
    (Original post by 0zzu)
    Why not apply? Four A-levels is very difficult, and I think that fourth A more than makes up for the lack of a second A*
    Most universities don't take the fourth one into account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    I thought they had previously, but as seen here they do not currently require it - the only admissions tests required are the BMAT for BMS and medicine, MAT for all Maths courses, and their own Chemistry test for Chemistry courses.
    Oh alright then! I just remembered people telling me before that Imperial used the PAT but I see that's not the case anymore

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.