Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My teacher wrote my personal statement, should I use it??? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peterbokor)
    I asked my teacher to review my personal statement, but instead, he wrote me a completely new one (the quality is brilliant). Should I send this off to UCAS? I feel like I’m cheating the system as it’s not me who wrote it. Advice would be helpful. (misuse of question marks)
    I think you would be cheating yourself as well as the system. Judging by your post, you are not the most articulate (errors have been corrected in bold) and your personal statement would therefore not be a true representation of yourself. Also, someone could easily track your IP address and inform UCAS of your statement and you would be declined from all universities you applied for. Just a thought.

ReputationRep:
    As an English teacher, I know very well how difficult it can be for young people to articulate their own talents and interests in a given degree course in a clear, coherent fashion that is both comprehensive and yet at the same time concise. That does not mean that they do not have these talents and interests but simply that they do not have the written communication skills to express them. You would be amazed at the number of successful people there are in the world who are absolutely useless at articulating the reasons for their success! So whenever young people approach me to help them with preparing their personal statements, I invite them to try and list as clearly as they can in their own words the abilities that they think they have under three headings - relevant knowledge, relevant skills, relevant values/levels of commitment. I also suggest that they should read carefully the knowledge, skills and values that universities are looking for in their prospectuses. I then suggest a structure, based upon university prospectuses, that students can use to provide a coherent flow of points that demonstrate the extent to which their knowledge, skills and values/commitments match up to what is being looked for. That way, students have the best chance of learning how to articulate their abilities in a written form that is clear enough to secure them an interview and the personal opportunity to confirm that they are every bit as worthy of selection as their written statement suggested they were. We can all learn from the expertise of others and I see no wrong in helping others to express themselves clearly. What would be wrong would be in helping young people to claim strengths that they simply do not have, claims that simply would not stand up to closer scrutiny.

ReputationRep:
    I swear most people's personal statements were written by their teachers to some extent. As long as it's accurate and reasonably true then use it. If it's really fake then don't but if it's just a rewrite of your old one and is still reasonably factually correct then use it. My personal statement was largely written by my teacher and it was completely fine. A lot of people statements get written by their teachers
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    use it if it is alright and you are at peace with yourself for doing that

ReputationRep:
    Is this teacher going to be your reference? Because if so it would be a bit suspicious how both your personal statement and reference sound like they're written by the same person.

I would say not to use it. Just take the ideas from it and phrase it differently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ljubljana)
    I think you would be cheating yourself as well as the system. Judging by your post, you are not the most articulate (errors have been corrected in bold) and your personal statement would therefore not be a true representation of yourself. Also, someone could easily track your IP address and inform UCAS of your statement and you would be declined from all universities you applied for. Just a thought.
    Hi! Thought i'd say just because you make a couple of errors on a chat forum doesn't mean you're not articulate and you would write like that for a personal statement!
    Also, confused as to how OP would be rejected from unis bc of IP address? Who's to tell whether the P.S. is wrote by the teacher or whether he decided to write it himself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eilidhhhh)
    Hi! Thought I'd say just because you make a couple of errors on a chat forum doesn't mean you're not articulate and you would write like that for a personal statement!
    Also, confused as to how OP would be rejected from unis bc of IP address? Who's to tell whether the P.S. is written by the teacher or whether he decided to write it himself?
    Spelling and grammatical errors have been corrected in bold. Also, I am perfectly capable of informing UCAS, as is anyone else who has ethics.

ReputationRep:
    Spelling and grammatical errors have been corrected in bold. Also, I am perfectly capable of informing UCAS, as is anyone else who has ethics.
    again: folk make mistakes on forums like this bc ppl aren't robots n don't really care but in a formal situation they would!! Anyway, I totally get that you can inform UCAS that's cool but how would they know whether the submitted P.S. was wrote by the teacher or the OP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eilidhhhh)
    Again: folk make mistakes on forums like this bc ppl aren't robots n don't really care but in a formal situation they would!! Anyway, I totally get that you can inform UCAS that's cool but how would they know whether the submitted P.S. was written by the teacher or the OP?
    Because the OP has admitted it here that he/she/it is intending to use unoriginal work. Again, grammatical errors have been corrected in bold.

ReputationRep:
    yes

ReputationRep:
    Because the OP has admitted it here that he/she/it is intending to use unoriginal work. Again, grammatical errors have been corrected in bold.
    when?

ReputationRep:
    You sound like a right d*ckhead.

ReputationRep:
    The key is in the name...Personal Statement. Not only is it plagiarism, but there is a chance you could be caught, if it doesn't sound like you or you are not 100% familiar with it then spotting a disparity wouldn't be too hard. Also, as people have mentioned, if your tutor was that happy to write you a PS, how many others has he done it for and how similar are they? If there is a crossover it WILL be picked up by CopyCatch and your chosen universities will be informed that your PS is similar to others.
    It is better to just write your own, no matter if this is better than yours. Also, the guilt of using it may loom over you for years. Could you imagine graduating and thinking it was all because of somebody else's initial work :/

ReputationRep:
    I asked my teacher to review my personal statement, but instead he wrote me a completely new one (the quality is brilliant). Should I send this of to UCAS? I feel like I’m cheating the system as it’s not me who wrote it. Advice would be helpful??
    Okay, personally if I were going to do this, I would read over the statement many times and make sure I know it really well and furthermore it has to sound like you! Something you would write or say and experiences that are yours. If you don't know this statement inside and out they will catch you in interviews. I would personally use that statement as a guide and re write it yourself so it's more authentic. If they've done this for other students then there may be a similarity issue when you submit which you really don't want. Be sure to google parts and make sure they don't come up. It's your decision at the end of the day but keep these things in mind!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    If the personal statement is reflective if you then go ahead with it. Don't just write a new one again yourself. However, make sure that you understand what is in your PS in detail so you are able to answer questions at your interview because most questions which unis ask are taken from your PS.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I asked my teacher to review my personal statement, but instead he wrote me a completely new one (the quality is brilliant). Should I send this of to UCAS? I feel like I’m cheating the system as it’s not me who wrote it. Advice would be helpful??
    Hi, I've moved your thread to the Personal Statement Advice forum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OwlOfFire)
    Check that they haven't copied it from anywhere! If I were you I would keep your personal statement but perhaps copy a few of the good sentences over. So it would be 60% you and 40% your teacher. Essentially take the best parts of your statement and your teachers then make a new one using a combination of both. Then it would technically be your statement and your teacher would have given you support, which is fine.
    ThNk you that’s what I done

ReputationRep:
    ThNk you that’s what I done
    No problem, I hope you do well!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.