Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I do graduate entry medicine or not? Please help! Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I didn't apply for medicine in the U.K. since I knew my grades weren't good enough. I decided to apply for biomedical sciences and then apply for graduate entry medicine. My mom doesn't want me to do that since it's not garunteed that I would get in (although Sussex does garubtee an interview) and she want me to go to RCSI here in my country but I don't want to go there. For anyone who has done graduate entry medicine, how was the process? What are the chances of me getting in? Any information is really helpful. Thank you.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    GEM is MUCH more competitive than undergraduate entry medicine - most have something like a 5-10% success rate of applications, compared to ~15-20% for undergraduate medicine.

You would probably find just completing an Irish medical course then applying to UK foundation posts as an IMG would be no more difficult than pursuing GEM, and would have the fall back of still being able to pursue medicine in Ireland, rather than in BMS where you may end up having to pursue another career you're not interested in.

I'm not really sure why you're so keen on medicine in the UK anyway, since fundamentally the role is by and large the same (and certainly the content of the courses will be largely identical), except in the UK you have the added pain of the atrocious new NHS contracts and funding cuts. Why exactly would you not be happy pursuing this role in Ireland (or anywhere else - you can still apply as an IMG to US/Canadian/Australian residency programmes and similar to my knowledge).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.