Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    help! what do i wear on my first day working at sainsburys. I do not have a uniform

ReputationRep:
    I used to work at Saisnburys last year, just wear black shoes or trainers (something like black vans will do) and then just wear a white shirt, maybe with a tie, they should give you a spare Sainsbury’s jumper on your first day and then get your uniform ordered in 👍🏼
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel100499)
    I used to work at Saisnburys last year, just wear black shoes or trainers (something like black vans will do) and then just wear a white shirt, maybe with a tie, they should give you a spare Sainsbury’s jumper on your first day and then get your uniform ordered in 👍🏼
    Hi, I was wondering if they allow you to work for a few months, have 3 months off to do something for charity and then come back and continue to work?

I'm going for an interview soon and don't know if I should ask this as it's a business and they need workers to actually come in every week..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ze Witcher)
    Hi, I was wondering if they allow you to work for a few months, have 3 months off to do something for charity and then come back and continue to work?

I'm going for an interview soon and don't know if I should ask this as it's a business and they need workers to actually come in every week..
    I don’t think so unfortunately
    The reason I left was to get medical work experience (I’m applying for medicine btw) I needed 3 weeks off to volunteer abroad which was granted to me because you get a set amount of holiday a year (it was like 12 days I think for me and I only worked weekends) but then I went to volunteer at a hospice and they wouldn’t allow me 2 months off for that so I decided to leave.
    Probably the best thing to do is work there for 3 months and leave for your charity project, that way you’ve earned some money and you can always get another job afterwards, just don’t mention in the interview that you only plan on being there 3 months because you’re less likely to get the job

ReputationRep:
    I don’t think so unfortunately
    The reason I left was to get medical work experience (I’m applying for medicine btw) I needed 3 weeks off to volunteer abroad which was granted to me because you get a set amount of holiday a year (it was like 12 days I think for me and I only worked weekends) but then I went to volunteer at a hospice and they wouldn’t allow me 2 months off for that so I decided to leave.
    Probably the best thing to do is work there for 3 months and leave for your charity project, that way you’ve earned some money and you can always get another job afterwards, just don’t mention in the interview that you only plan on being there 3 months because you’re less likely to get the job
    Thanks for the heads up, that sucks

Understandable from their point of view though - if I get the job, and secure the three month placement, then I'll probably work until May before leaving.

Do you think it would be wise to reapply to Sainsbury's after that, with a reason for leaving being to work for a charity for 3 months abroad?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the heads up, that sucks

Understandable from their point of view though - if I get the job, and secure the three month placement, then I'll probably work until May before leaving.

Do you think it would be wise to reapply to Sainsbury's after that, with a reason for leaving being to work for a charity for 3 months abroad?
    Yes, definitely. They said I was welcome back at any time because I was helping the community and they respected that, they were just unable to let me leave for a long period of time.
    As long as it’s for a good cause and you need the time off then they should let you back 👍🏼

ReputationRep:
    Yes, definitely. They said I was welcome back at any time because I was helping the community and they respected that, they were just unable to let me leave for a long period of time.
    As long as it’s for a good cause and you need the time off then they should let you back 👍🏼
    You're putting my mind at ease, haha thanks!

Now just have to smash this interview..

ReputationRep:
    You're putting my mind at ease, haha thanks!

Now just have to smash this interview..
    Good luck

Btw if you’re going for a shop floor role they asked me to point out what’s good and what’s bad with the aisles, just look if the aisle is clean, tidy, not cluttered with cages, shelves are well stocked, in neat rows etc. And just be yourself 👍🏼

ReputationRep:
    Good luck

Btw if you’re going for a shop floor role they asked me to point out what’s good and what’s bad with the aisles, just look if the aisle is clean, tidy, not cluttered with cages, shelves are well stocked, in neat rows etc. And just be yourself 👍🏼
    Oo, thanks for the tips - any more Sainsbury-insider advice? Like what to do at checkouts and other places, and what promotions you have?

ReputationRep:
    Oo, thanks for the tips - any more Sainsbury-insider advice? Like what to do at checkouts and other places, and what promotions you have?
    I know to be on the checkouts you have to be till trained, this usually takes about a day to do and I left before I got the chance to so I don’t know a lot about tills, my job was just stocking the fridge aisles, very easy once you get the hang of things.
    As for promotions, you mean like staff discount? Or just a general promotion? Either way it’s 15% discount off everything in store, but idk how to get a promotion to a higher paid job.
    Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    I know to be on the checkouts you have to be till trained, this usually takes about a day to do and I left before I got the chance to so I don’t know a lot about tills, my job was just stocking the fridge aisles, very easy once you get the hang of things.
    As for promotions, you mean like staff discount? Or just a general promotion? Either way it’s 15% discount off everything in store, but idk how to get a promotion to a higher paid job.
    Hope this helps
    It does! Promotions as in-store offers, I should've worded it better..

I'm prepping with the stereotypical retail questions (judging from Glassdoor they seem quite common) so hope it works

Do you remember what they had asked you a long time ago for interview? I see that them taking you on the shop floor is quite common, listing the positive and negatives.

ReputationRep:
    It does! Promotions as in-store offers, I should've worded it better..

I'm prepping with the stereotypical retail questions (judging from Glassdoor they seem quite common) so hope it works

Do you remember what they had asked you a long time ago for interview? I see that them taking you on the shop floor is quite common, listing the positive and negatives.
    I can’t recall any promotions on the shop floor, so I can’t help you there, and I remember some questions.
    “Why do you want a job in retail?”
    Just give an answer like “retail appeals to me as I like to engage with customers and hope to progress up the management chain (even if that’s not what you want to do it just shows that you want to stay on)”
    I’m not sure if my interview was unlike anyone else’s but the manager I had was very new so a little inexperienced and I feel he wanted to get to know me better so he asked about hobbies and general interests rather than generic retail questions, even if you don’t have any just say you do so that you seem like a wholesome person

But yeah I’m pretty sure they’ll take you on the shop floor, just look for things I said earlier and the overall presentation of the shelves and you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    I can’t recall any promotions on the shop floor, so I can’t help you there, and I remember some questions.
    “Why do you want a job in retail?”
    Just give an answer like “retail appeals to me as I like to engage with customers and hope to progress up the management chain (even if that’s not what you want to do it just shows that you want to stay on)”
    I’m not sure if my interview was unlike anyone else’s but the manager I had was very new so a little inexperienced and I feel he wanted to get to know me better so he asked about hobbies and general interests rather than generic retail questions, even if you don’t have any just say you do so that you seem like a wholesome person

But yeah I’m pretty sure they’ll take you on the shop floor, just look for things I said earlier and the overall presentation of the shelves and you should be fine
    Ah okay - I don't mind the personality-esc sort of questions as I don't have to think on the spot for them as opposed to why X should do Y in retail etc.

I'm prob overthinking this now, but what happens if I don't see any negatives? Do I just critise one of the employees or something for not smiling, I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    Ah okay - I don't mind the personality-esc sort of questions as I don't have to think on the spot for them as opposed to why X should do Y in retail etc.

I'm prob overthinking this now, but what happens if I don't see any negatives? Do I just critise one of the employees or something for not smiling, I don't know.
    Don’t worry, when I had mine I could only see one negative, but a lot of positives, the one negative was there was an empty space on the shelf, other than that it was perfect, but yeah you could criticise the employees for not smiling, but usually their aisles are a good standard so don’t worry if you don’t get many negatives

ReputationRep:
    Don’t worry, when I had mine I could only see one negative, but a lot of positives, the one negative was there was an empty space on the shelf, other than that it was perfect, but yeah you could criticise the employees for not smiling, but usually their aisles are a good standard so don’t worry if you don’t get many negatives
    That's a relief. Thanks for the help - hope it goes well now.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.