Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I am terrified for my IGCSEs and I'm only in year 9 Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm only in year 9, I haven't even chosen my options yet, and I am already so nervous for my iGCSEs. I am actually losing sleep over something that are nowhere near. Is this normal? Is anyone reading this who has already done iGCSEs and can offer some support? I am so scared about failure.. and I really want to do really really well just to show that I am good at something. Also, we do edexcel for all our exams. If anyone can tell me the hard cold truth I would really appreciate it, please comment on here or PM me please x

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry IGCSE's are pretty easy. Just have fun in Year 9 and 10 while you can.

Edexcel is a "hard" exam board but their exams in my point of view generally interesting but that's for Year 11.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MollyBarber13)
    I'm only in year 9, I haven't even chosen my options yet, and I am already so nervous for my iGCSEs. I am actually losing sleep over something that are nowhere near. Is this normal? Is anyone reading this who has already done iGCSEs and can offer some support? I am so scared about failure.. and I really want to do really really well just to show that I am good at something. Also, we do edexcel for all our exams. If anyone can tell me the hard cold truth I would really appreciate it, please comment on here or PM me please x
    Don’t worry about your iGCSE’s just yet, I’d start worrying mid way through year 11.
    They aren’t that bad if you put the effort in, start revising well in advance, and take detailed notes during class.
    I did edexcel for mine, and most of the class found that if you literally memorise the text books for science and maths then you should be fine, other subjects like English and history are a little different in that you have to know how to structure essays and write model answers, but again don’t worry because your teachers will go through everything you will need for your exams.
    Good luck
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MollyBarber13)
    I can only speak for normal GCSE, but they are really nothing to worry about... they're very easy once you know everything and universities barely even look at them. If you are doing well at school now, you will be fine.

What you do have to worry about is A Levels... as if you don't get good enough ones, you can't go to university. I have only just started mine, so I don't know quite how hard they are (though looking at the textbooks is pretty daunting)...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Literally there is almost no reason to concern yourself with GCSE exams, since outside of Oxbridge and medicine courses they aren't even considered. Even in those realms, the level of which they are weighted varies enormously (Cambridge on the whole cares very little about GCSE performance for example).

It doesn't matter what subjects you take, unless your school requires a specific subject at GCSE to continue to A-level (or equivalent). The only ones that you "need" to do well in are Maths and English - you should aim to pass these with a C as that's the minimum numeracy/literacy metric the UK government uses.

Of course if you're applying outside the UK this may vary but for e.g. most EU and US/Canadian universities it's entirely irrelevant anyway.

You are stressing over the thing which realistically matters the least, in the long run.

ReputationRep:
    There is honestly no need to be worrying at this stage Just take each day as it comes and I can guarantee that if you put the effort in, you will get good grades and think to yourself 'hey, that wasn't that bad!'. When ever I look back on when I was studying from my GCSE's I always wish that I could've told myself to stop panicking and losing sleep, because at the end of the day if you have studied as much as you can and given 100% then the grades will come.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.