The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE Economic history

I am predicted A* in history, A in economics and a B in English this year after achieving ABB in my AS levels with predominantly A*s-A in my GCSEs. I have a guaranteed contextual offer to straight History at Bristol due to an outreach scheme I have competed which has allowed me to more or less cater my statement towards Economic History, what are my chances of getting in?
You will never know unless you try. Once you meet the minimum criteria and not automatically eliminated, then you need a convincing Personal Statement to show you know the course is right for you - your reasons for taking the course and your understanding of what the course entails. The PS is critical for LSE as they have no other ways to rank applicants.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
I got into the course with just the AAB predictions and having 5 Cs at GCSE but because they loved my personal statement so much that they decided to give me the offer. As the person above me has said, your personal statement is the most important thing to get right, if you show your interest and passion for the subject then there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to get in.
Original post by Fulham_Fan
I got into the course with just the AAB predictions and having 5 Cs at GCSE but because they loved my personal statement so much that they decided to give me the offer. As the person above me has said, your personal statement is the most important thing to get right, if you show your interest and passion for the subject then there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to get in.

Congratulations. I thought Economic History was AAB or have they raised that to AAA?
Original post by GandalfWhite
Congratulations. I thought Economic History was AAB or have they raised that to AAA?

No you're right it is AAB, if I can get in with the bare minimum and underwhelming GCSEs then people above that range can most certainly do so.
Original post by Fulham_Fan
No you're right it is AAB, if I can get in with the bare minimum and underwhelming GCSEs then people above that range can most certainly do so.

Hi, as LSE is almost the only university that offers straight economic history, how did you set out your PS? Where the other courses you applied to Economics or History? I would like to apply for Economic History but most of my PS is about why I want to study history and then when I give specific examples of it I mention my interest in economic history- e.g. reading articles and books by economic historians. Is that enough? As the competition is so high and the PS is so crucial is it worth applying for a course that you're personal statement isn't completely geared towards even if it is not widely available elsewhere?
Original post by DrinkerOfCups
Hi, as LSE is almost the only university that offers straight economic history, how did you set out your PS? Where the other courses you applied to Economics or History? I would like to apply for Economic History but most of my PS is about why I want to study history and then when I give specific examples of it I mention my interest in economic history- e.g. reading articles and books by economic historians. Is that enough? As the competition is so high and the PS is so crucial is it worth applying for a course that you're personal statement isn't completely geared towards even if it is not widely available elsewhere?

Focus mainly on History but add some knowledge of economics, my personal statement focused on my academic ability to understand history and I just added how it relates to economics, LSE know that they're offering such a niche course so a PS that focuses on history is a norm for them. The most important thing you can do is show how you've taken your interest to the next level and reading books on the topic is a good idea (might want to find something where you can actually name drop LSE as they seem to LOVE that, I mentioned how I went to public lectures at the LSE talking about GDP and related it to history).
Thank you very much this has given me a lot more confidence as I have done most of the same :smile:
Original post by DrinkerOfCups
Thank you very much this has given me a lot more confidence as I have done most of the same :smile:

Hope to see you next year then!
Hello there, wondering have you achieved LSE? Well, could you give any tips on studying AS history? My school has had only ONE student who got an A for history, and I am sincerely terrified.
For the LSE Economics History PS, should the statement focus more on history or economics? My PS mainly discusses economics with minimal history expressions. Thanks!
Hi, I know this is a bit late, but recently I got an offer from LSE for BSc Economic History.

Basically, my central theme for the personal statement was about inequality - I structured it at a micro level as well as at a macro level. What I did for my PS was that I picked out my favourite niche area of economic history and development. It was about India’s Dalits, and because I read a lot about them, I was able to drop a lot of facts, and link my interest about society, history and economics as a whole.

Afterwards, I skimmed through a lot of other books like Muhammad Yunus’ A World of Three Zeroes, Acemoglu-Robinson Why Nations Fail and also Baradaran’s research on black banks. Note that I used the word “skim”, because I did my personal statement roughly within 5 days as I was catching up with the deadline 😂

Anyway, I used quotes from the books which I found interesting and linked it with other ideas presented by other authors into a central theme. Then, I finished it off with my extra-curricular, and how I learned from them etc.

I don’t recommend you doing your personal statement the way I did ie. rushing for the deadline, but I think the main important thing is to really find out your interest, and try your best to convey it in regards to your course. If you can’t do so, then perhaps maybe you can explore, and you may find other courses more suitable to your interests.

My predicted grades are A*A*A, and my AS grades were high A in Economics and C in History. I did Edexcel Math in my first year, which rounded off to roughly an A - not keyed in yet. If you have any questions, you can direct message me.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by seacolumbus
Hi, I know this is a bit late, but recently I got an offer from LSE for BSc Economic History.

Basically, my central theme for the personal statement was about inequality - I structured it at a micro level as well as at a macro level. What I did for my PS was that I picked out my favourite niche area of economic history and development. It was about India’s Dalits, and because I read a lot about them, I was able to drop a lot of facts, and link my interest about society, history and economics as a whole.

Afterwards, I skimmed through a lot of other books like Muhammad Yunus’ A World of Three Zeroes, Acemoglu-Robinson Why Nations Fail and also Baradaran’s research on black banks. Note that I used the word “skim”, because I did my personal statement roughly within 5 days as I was catching up with the deadline 😂

Anyway, I used quotes from the books which I found interesting and linked it with other ideas presented by other authors into a central theme. Then, I finished it off with my extra-curricular, and how I learned from them etc.

I don’t recommend you doing your personal statement the way I did ie. rushing for the deadline, but I think the main important thing is to really find out your interest, and try your best to convey it in regards to your course. If you can’t do so, then perhaps maybe you can explore, and you may find other courses more suitable to your interests.

My predicted grades are A*A*A, and my AS grades were high A in Economics and C in History. I did Edexcel Math in my first year, which rounded off to roughly an A - not keyed in yet. If you have any questions, you can direct message me.

Hiya I was wondering if i could get advice on my PS I am applying to economic history with A* in politics A A in economic and maths D* in sport btec and A* in EPQ

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending