Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    how long should essays for homework be (say u have a week to do them)? I have a history one due in tomorrow and Ive only typed a page and a bit as idk what else to write but I feel like this is waaaay too little

ReputationRep:
    my teacher says atleast 6-8 paragraphs including an intro and a conclusion, but it depends on the essay and how your school works, id say maybe 8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by solokbm)
    how long should essays for homework be (say u have a week to do them)? I have a history one due in tomorrow and Ive only typed a page and a bit as idk what else to write but I feel like this is waaaay too little
    it's always about length these days lol

whenever someone asks these questions i have a hint int he back of my mind which tells me that sometimes this person wants to do as little as possible

then again you could just genuinely be unsure as to how much you should write etc

in general i'd say follow a general structure you teacher has given you(if they haven't ask how) and then see how long things come out, it's more about the quality than really focusing on the quantity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wavywallflower)
    my teacher says atleast 6-8 paragraphs including an intro and a conclusion, but it depends on the essay and how your school works, id say maybe 8
    Wow that’s a lot! I’ve written more and managed to get 6 large paragraphs so I think that should be ok

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will'o'wisp2)
    it's always about length these days lol

whenever someone asks these questions i have a hint int he back of my mind which tells me that sometimes this person wants to do as little as possible

then again you could just genuinely be unsure as to how much you should write etc

in general i'd say follow a general structure you teacher has given you(if they haven't ask how) and then see how long things come out, it's more about the quality than really focusing on the quantity
    haha no i dont want to be the person in my class who writes the shortest essay. and thank u! my teacher’s sample essay was about as long as i ended up doing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by solokbm)
    haha no i dont want to be the person in my class who writes the shortest essay. and thank u! my teacher’s sample essay was about as long as i ended up doing
    i can certainly tell you that essay length doesn't matter much

for philosophy usually 2-2.5 sides depending on the size of your handwriting is "standard"
    the grading system is as follows from the worst to best grade

Pass 3(p3)
    Pass 2 (p2)
    P1

Merit 3 (m3)
    M2
    M1

Distinction 3 (d3)
    D2
    D1

d1 is as rare as it gets, i've only gotten 2 of those throughout the 2 years of my course at highschool

one of those d1 essays was 6 sides, the other 2 sides

i've written a 1 side essay which i got an m1 for and i've written 2 sides essays worthy of an m3

it's all about quality my man, you could've produced a stonker of an essay ableit short

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.