Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing my A-level Russian coursework, with the title of 'Historians have disagreed about the extent to which Russia’s involvement in the first world war led to the downfall of Tsarism in February 1917'. I'm kind of stuck on where to start and how to integrate the historian arguments that I am given. Any ideas??

Cheers
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by georgejensen)
    I'm currently doing my A-level Russian coursework, with the title of 'Historians have disagreed about the extent to which Russia’s involvement in the first world war led to the downfall of Tsarism in February 1917'. I'm kind of stuck on where to start and how to integrate the historian arguments that I am given. Any ideas??

Cheers
    How much research have you done.

Phase 1 understand the 1917 revolution plus all the contributing factors.
    Phase 2 understand Russias involvement in the war and the impact.
    Phase 3 Identify the two views that the war had little effect and it was down to the factors v the war had a large effect and was pivotal as a factor in the revolution.

Once you understand those then you can write the essay in draft form.

Brief overview. revolution.
    Brief overview of the war.
    The question then becomes what effect that had on the revolution.
    Examine argument A not a great effect and it was other factors.
    Examine argument B stressing how important it was plus evidence.
    Then weigh it up an do your own evaluation. Its where you can make your judgment calls and key points of insight. Which argument and why.
    Then do your conclusion.

When you redraft you can make it less balanced and support one side or the other if you want. It all becomes a lot easier if you do the research and then plan it. Everything else is just arranging and drafting.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for this, really helpful.

In terms of research, Ive pretty much completed it. What two factors would you have used other than the War being the sole factor?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.