Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey there guys. I have to do this school project by next week and I've barely made any progress at all, so I was wondering if anyone could help me out a little? Well, this is what we have to do for the project:
    1. Create a login/registering system for the user
    2. Make them do a class quiz with 2 subjects to choose from
    3. Calculate their grade at the end
    4. Put all details of users and their grades into a viewable database or some sort of external text file.

If someone is good at programming with python, drop me a direct message and if we could work on it together that'd be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tensilstudent112)
    Hey there guys. I have to do this school project by next week and I've barely made any progress at all, so I was wondering if anyone could help me out a little? Well, this is what we have to do for the project:
    4. Put all details of users and their grades into a viewable database.
    Sounds like for number 1 you'll have to 'write' into the database.

2+3 aren't really that difficult, simple python you learn at the start. The database 'reading' and 'writing' may take some getting use to, however.

ReputationRep:
    I studied GCSE computer science, although i cant really help you i found that watching youtube videos is really helpful. Often they will take you through an example of what they have done, for example creating a login. You can then tailor it to your project My teacher always said 'dont reinvent the wheel, copy!'. Make sure you understand it though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James244)
    I studied GCSE computer science, although i cant really help you i found that watching youtube videos is really helpful. Often they will take you through an example of what they have done, for example creating a login. You can then tailor it to your project My teacher always said 'dont reinvent the wheel, copy!'. Make sure you understand it though
    There was literally the whole controlled assessment on youtube haha, whole class had the same work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EdexcelAreIdiots)
    Sounds like for number 1 you'll have to 'write' into the database.

2+3 aren't really that difficult, simple python you learn at the start. The database 'reading' and 'writing' may take some getting use to, however.
    But the problem is my teacher hasn't taught us how to do this. Where can I learn how to read and write from a database/external file?

ReputationRep:
    But the problem is my teacher hasn't taught us how to do this. Where can I learn how to read and write from a database/external file?
    I would like to think that im pretty good at programming.
    I dont have much experience with python but within C# we have a 'Dictionary' data type (I think Python is loosely typed). A dictionary has a Key and Value. Key would be the Username and Value would be the password. Ask for a username and password from the user to register and add it to the dictionary. To save the dictionary I would recommend looking at JSON (JavaScript Object Notation). It mkes saving and loading data super easy and in a human readable format. (Human readable simply so its easy to show to your teacher and so you can talk about how passwords would be encrypted )

Disclaimer: You would need to translate the C# Dictionary in my example to the Python equivalent.

ReputationRep:
    I can help, dm me if you still need help.

ReputationRep:
    4. Put all details of users and their grades into a viewable database or some sort of external text file.

If someone is good at programming with python, drop me a direct message and if we could work on it together that'd be much appreciated.
    Do t really understand 1
    But could help w 2/3 possibly 4 too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GamingAnonymous)
    I would like to think that im pretty good at programming.
    I dont have much experience with python but within C# we have a 'Dictionary' data type (I think Python is loosely typed). A dictionary has a Key and Value. Key would be the Username and Value would be the password. Ask for a username and password from the user to register and add it to the dictionary. To save the dictionary I would recommend looking at JSON (JavaScript Object Notation). It mkes saving and loading data super easy and in a human readable format. (Human readable simply so its easy to show to your teacher and so you can talk about how passwords would be encrypted )

Disclaimer: You would need to translate the C# Dictionary in my example to the Python equivalent.
    We have dictionaries in python.

I have a small question. What would you recommend me to learn next, C# or C++?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stoyfan)

C# by a mile. C++ is powerful but for most applications it just adds too much pain to be worth it.

ReputationRep:

Well it depends on what sort of projects you can see yourself making, and what sort of skills you'd like to learn. Learning C++ will make you more aware of things like pointers and memory handling, but as previously mentioned can be more difficult to start learning.

But tbh it really comes down to what projects you are interested in, for example if you were wanting to do stuff with image processing C++ would be the obvious choice due to being able to work with the OpenCV library

ReputationRep:
    Heya, I worked on a similar project last year for my AS-levels. I suggest to write and read into the database, you use SQLite3 which comes as a module in Python. SQL is funky but you can pick it up quickly.

For C++ vs C#, C++ is amazing for understanding how languages and systems work, but C# is probably better if you want to get something done faster. It'll also be an easier transition from Python. Also if you're checking out C# then may as well learn Java alongside or instead since they're extremely similar languages (Java is arguable more useful as C# is kind of more suited to the Microsoft ecosystem).

ReputationRep:

Is this for your controlled assessment?

If so, which exam board?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.