Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I quit IB? (grades not as expected) Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Pre IB (grade 10 or MYP5) and I use to be in an international French school before. When I chose IB, it was because I was aiming for Ivy league unis (especially Harvard) and the school days at my Ib school in Sweden are short so I'll have time to train a lot (cycling) as in the French school, we finish every day at 6 pm. Anyways, I thought I'd get good grades cuz that's how it was in the French school but I got my first progress report and I'm so disappointed. Check the attachment. I still have the chance to go back to the French school, should I? (I'll get better grades there but won't have time for training). On top of that, I don't like my current school, the people are not so nice and I only have one friend. Should I quit IB? You think I could have any chances for Harvard honestly? Here are also the grades I got so far on summative tasks:

- French 3: 6 and 7 (I'm so angry I don't get it it's my mother tongue and I'm better than the teacher but whatever...)

- History: A (that was on an A-F scale for some reason)

- Maths: 5, 8, 6

- English: 6, 5, 5, 6

- Swedish: 30 out of 50 https://www.ibsurvival.com/uploads/e...efault_sad.png

Also, my plan was to study immediately after high school at a top college like Harvard, back up plan was Oxford or Cambridge but also colleges in Singapore and Asia, and the back up plan, if nothing works out, was to study in France (but I need the French bac for that I think so I don't know what to do). Also, I want to be a psychiatrist so Ill do medicine studies first.

**I have to decide if I want to go back to the French school before Friday otherwise it will be too late.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdfProgress Report 1.pdf (284.5 KB, 25 views)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    To begin with, in the US medicine is only a graduate degree. So if Harvard is your aim, you will spend 4 years studying things other than medicine (albeit, some related courses - such as organic chemistry and biology - are required, and most will end up majoring in biosciences as premeds) anyway.

Beyond that, IB is not a requirement for Harvard, nor is it the only option. A-levels or any other comparable qualification would, provided you do very well, and have excellent extracurricular and ace the SAT/ACT, be perfectly acceptable. Famously in the 90s I believe, an A-level student who was rejected from Oxford Medicine despite achieving top grades was subsequently offered a place at Harvard, where she majored in Biochemistry and hence studied medicine somewhere (Cambridge, I think).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.