The Student Room Group

GCSE Requirements

I am invested in pursuing a career in medicine, however I fear that my GCSE grades are bellow average for this career;
- Physics: B
- Maths: 6
- Geography: A
- Biology: A
- Chemistry: A
- Graphics: A
- French: A
- English lit: 8
- English lang: 8
- German A*

My question is should I retake maths this year (I'm in year 12)? I am doing the International Baccalaureate and my subjects are HL; Bio, Chemistry, German and SL: Maths, English lit and lang and Geography.
Similarly, I would quite like to move to studies but would this reduce my chances of getting into medicine?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by baurmannt
I am invested in pursuing a career in medicine, however I fear that my GCSE grades are bellow average for this career;
- German A*

My question is should I retake maths this year (I'm in year 12)? I am doing the International Baccalaureate and my subjects are HL; Bio, Chemistry, German and SL: Maths, English lit and lang and Geography.
Similarly, I would quite like to move to studies but would this reduce my chances of getting into medicine?

Your GCSE grades are very good, if you have the chance and time I would retake maths
Reply 2
Original post by Lucky10
Your GCSE grades are very good, if you have the chance and time I would retake maths

Thanks, I'm looking into it, however, some universities don't acknowledge a retake grade.
check if you meet the minimum entry requirements, bc if you do for a majority there isnt much point in taking the time to retake. usually unis just want you to meet a threshold and unless you have straight a*s there would be no advantage
I shouldn't worry about your GCSE grades because they are very good as they stand... Although as someone already said, if you do get a chance, retake the maths. Someone a know got into university to study medicine with similar grades to you, probably lower in some and got Bs in his AS and then As I'm his A level. I don't pretend I know much on medicine as I am hoping to do a nursing degree but I plenty of friends and family who are in that field. The main subjects you will need to up your game on in 6th form are the science subjects. Hope this helps a little!
If you do decide to retake maths, would you need extra lessons in it or would you just be able to revise for it on your own? I got the same grade in it as you at GCSE and I'm considering whether to retake it or not.
Reply 6
Original post by buzziebee
I shouldn't worry about your GCSE grades because they are very good as they stand... Although as someone already said, if you do get a chance, retake the maths. Someone a know got into university to study medicine with similar grades to you, probably lower in some and got Bs in his AS and then As I'm his A level. I don't pretend I know much on medicine as I am hoping to do a nursing degree but I plenty of friends and family who are in that field. The main subjects you will need to up your game on in 6th form are the science subjects. Hope this helps a little!

Thank you that's really helpful, do you know where you friend applied to for medicine and what places he got?
Reply 7
Original post by tarataika
If you do decide to retake maths, would you need extra lessons in it or would you just be able to revise for it on your own? I got the same grade in it as you at GCSE and I'm considering whether to retake it or not.

I would revise by myself I think. I feel as if I've learnt a lot doing maths IB that would make revision easier but obviously it would still be a lot of work for me that I would wouldn't be able to spend on 6th form work.
Reply 8
Original post by Yipyipee
check if you meet the minimum entry requirements, bc if you do for a majority there isnt much point in taking the time to retake. usually unis just want you to meet a threshold and unless you have straight a*s there would be no advantage

For quite a few universities I do meet the entry requirements but I found this quite misleading as I meet them for oxbridge for example, but I know I would never stand a chance getting into it. Similarly, when I phoned up a uni they said that although their entry requirements were low over 40% of their applicants for medicine had 9A*s or above so I had very little chance.
He applied to various unis in Britain but then, I know it might seem really stupid to mention, he applied abroad and the places abroad such as Valencia and Ireland have very low grade requirements for some reason. Obviously it can be more expensive though. Hope this helps a little!
- German A*

Hi! Fellow IB student here, a few med schools and unis in general don't accept maths studies as a subject so bear that in mind if you make the switch :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Milky_Way
Hi! Fellow IB student here, a few med schools and unis in general don't accept maths studies as a subject so bear that in mind if you make the switch :smile:

Thanks, yes I'm aware there are 3 or 4 but through research I have found they are generally the unis that have high entry requirements and that are competitive - so basically ones I probably don't have a high chance in getting into anyway. One exception I found though was Norwich, which is now one I won't be able to apply to.
Reply 12
Thanks, yes I'm aware there are 3 or 4 but through research I have found they are generally the unis that have high entry requirements and that are competitive - so basically ones I probably don't have a high chance in getting into anyway. One exception I found though was Norwich, which is now one I won't be able to apply to.

Also, how are you finding IB and which year are you in? I am trying to think of a topic for my EE any advice?
Also, how are you finding IB and which year are you in? I am trying to think of a topic for my EE any advice?

Final year of IB! I would choose an EE topic that you are genuinely interested in, don't do a science EE because you want to do medicine!
For quite a few universities I do meet the entry requirements but I found this quite misleading as I meet them for oxbridge for example, but I know I would never stand a chance getting into it. Similarly, when I phoned up a uni they said that although their entry requirements were low over 40% of their applicants for medicine had 9A*s or above so I had very little chance.

of course oxbridge is an exception, but i believe it would be more beneficial to spend more time on your current exams rather than retaking other ones. also some schools dont accept retakes (they say they want it all done in one sitting)
Reply 15
Original post by Yipyipee
of course oxbridge is an exception, but i believe it would be more beneficial to spend more time on your current exams rather than retaking other ones. also some schools dont accept retakes (they say they want it all done in one sitting)

Yep, definitely I agree thank you.
Reply 16
Original post by Milky_Way
Final year of IB! I would choose an EE topic that you are genuinely interested in, don't do a science EE because you want to do medicine!

I was thinking about perhaps doing one in English what did you do yours on? Otherwise do you think investigating something like autism would be acceptable (I do work experience at a nursing home for people with autism).
I was thinking about perhaps doing one in English what did you do yours on? Otherwise do you think investigating something like autism would be acceptable (I do work experience at a nursing home for people with autism).

I did mine in World Studies (interdisciplinary). English EEs are really straightforward to write so I think that's a good option. As long as you can link it to a subject anything is alright and you can find academic research

Quick Reply

Latest