Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Job asking for Mother Maiden Name and Town of birth???? Is this a scam??? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Job interview tomorrow and they asking asking for Mother Maiden Name and Town of birth???? Is this a scam????

Recently received a brief call (No more than 5 mins) for a job as a data entry clerk for a Randstad Iron Mountain. They called me in to come in the next day and asked me for the following information below.

Proof of Eligibility to Work in the UK - This is either a valid passport (and visa if applicable), National Identity Card or Full (long) Birth Certificate Proof of ID: Birth Certificate, Passport, Driving Licence or State Identity Card Proof of National Insurance number: either your National Insurance card, P45 or P60 or a letter from Inland Revenue (payslips are NOT accepted) Proof of current address: Driving licence, utility bill, bank statement or council tax letter Your full address history for the 5 years up to your registration date (this will be used when applying for your Disclosure Scotland) Mothers maiden name (this will be used when applying for your Disclosure Scotland) Town of Birth (this will be used when applying for your Disclosure Scotland) Bank details Your employment and education history for the 5 years up to your registration date. This includes company/school/college/university name and address (and agency name if applicable), dates of employment, contact details such as telephone number and email address. This information is required for security checks.

This information is required for security checks.I find it very suspicious that they are asking for my mother maiden name and town of birth as other jobs I have had in the past have never asked me for this.

ReputationRep:
    Have you received a job offer from them or do they want this info outright? The reasons for them asking for the info are somewhat valid, but whether it's a scam depends on whether they're being honest etc. I'd definitely recommend doing some further research on the company if you haven't already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swiftylol)
    Have you received a job offer from them or do they want this info outright? The reasons for them asking for the info are somewhat valid, but whether it's a scam depends on whether they're being honest etc. I'd definitely recommend doing some further research on the company if you haven't already.
    They are offering the job basically but I don't understand why they need my mothers maiden name and town of birth. I have done crb checks done on me before in the past and usually they only ask for full name, dob and address.

ReputationRep:
    Does it come from a Nigerian Prince?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It may actually be required - when I had to fill in a DBS I had to include a ton of information - but then again I had to fill in my own form, and the company just sent it off and paid for it for me. They didn't ask the information then fill it in on my behalf. The full address history I definitely had to do, and I'm pretty sure I had to fill in mother's maiden name as well. Maybe ask them if you can fill in the DBS form yourself and then return it to them if you're very concerned?

Honestly having someone else do it for me would've been great, I was terrified I'd write something in wrong or make an error and need to ask them to send me a new form...

ReputationRep:
    I’ve never been asked for that information
    A quick google of the company doesn’t flag up a problem but before you take it, look at the employee reviews on https://www.indeed.co.uk/cmp/Iron-Mountain/reviews
    They sound horrendous to work for
    But a jobs a job.
    I’d query why they want that information before I handed it over

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.