Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luke650)
    would that college experience not distract me from my studies though and would it be much harder to socalise if i had to commute in even if i live so close to uni
    No. You will find it difficult to focus 100% on your studies unless you have Asperger's.

You need social distractions and other activities to have a healthy mind, and you need a healthy mind to tackle a degree subject. If it were the case that you simply need to focus 100% on your studies to get a first, everyone would be doing that. But you will see the most able students "distract" themselves with a vast number of non-academic activities, including sports.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to live at home, you MUST apply to St. Cuths otherwise it will not be approved. Just letting you know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    No. You will find it difficult to focus 100% on your studies unless you have Asperger's.

You need social distractions and other activities to have a healthy mind, and you need a healthy mind to tackle a degree subject. If it were the case that you simply need to focus 100% on your studies to get a first, everyone would be doing that. But you will see the most able students "distract" themselves with a vast number of non-academic activities, including sports.
    ohhhh i see i see i think i may just live at a college then as if that is the case i may just do that
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by durhamdunce)
    If you want to live at home, you MUST apply to St. Cuths otherwise it will not be approved. Just letting you know
    why would it not be approved if i was to live at home and apply to other colleges
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    The whole point of st cuths was to accomodate students who wanted to live in non- college accomodation (thats why its a society, not a college). Over time, they built their own rooms. Perhaps a historical quirk, but one someone in your situation should be aware of.

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest living in college myself, but be aware that costs are near £8000 a year and you should weigh if the financial costs are worth it.

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend to stay at home. You can go to visit your friends and they can visit you at anytime if you stay 10 minutes from university/town. It is better to save money for you and your needs than making friends and probably most of them you will not speak after you finish uni. This is my opinion on that.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my first year at Durham now, living at home and it's totally fine. I've made plenty of friends whilst saving a load of money. I, personally, can't get too involed in societies and college life anyway because I work 20-30 hours a week as well as studying full time, but have had plenty opportunities to get involved and I wouldn't say living at home has affected any of these. If you have any questions just give me a shout and I'll answer best I can! :-)

Edit: You can apply to any college if you want to live out. I'm part of Josephine Butler.

ReputationRep:
    My uni doesn't allow you to live in accommodation if you live within a 5 mile radius of the uni. If I were you I'd live at home, much cheaper, you'll sleep better and because you're so close it's not like you'll be missing out on the social aspect.

ReputationRep:
    One thought - you mentioned home being a ten minute drive away. Have you actually checked whether it is practical to commute by car in terms of parking near your department? How long would the journey take by public transport?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.