Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you get motivation to actually revise? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Lmao I always tell myself I'm going to revise and then I end up distracting myself or getting distracted. Darn the world wide web.

If you haven't taken up the devoted procrastination lifestyle, how'd ya do it?
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by lil bit studious)
    Lmao I always tell myself I'm going to revise and then I end up distracting myself or getting distracted. Darn the world wide web.

Benefit and fear.

1. Think about why you are doing it and what the benefits are of getting the grades you need.

2. fear think what it means to fail and how thats gong to feel.

Pick.

It also helps to have a decent plan and to get semi competent so you know you have a chance. Also dont overdo it, so a plan tells you how much and you can take rests that are guilt free.

Small units means it feels more achievable just do x a day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Benefit and fear.

1. Think about why you are doing it and what the benefits are of getting the grades you need.

Pick.

It also helps to have a decent plan and to get semi competent so you know you have a chance. Also dont overdo it, so a plan tells you how much and you can take rests that are guilt free.

couldn't agree more tbf, the thing is once you start revising, and accomplish something after that (good grade in test) you'll feel good. Now think of this in a wider sense: future job - something you like, good salary etc - all comes from revision starting now

ReputationRep:

Me, I've procrastinated revision so much for my mid term tests.

Benefit and fear.

Pick.

I try this and sometimes it works but the times it doesn't I leave it to the last minute.
    • Very Important Poster

OK how about thinking of all the people you dont like at school doing well and going off to uni, but leaving you behind to stack shelves because you couldnt be bothered. Think how your parents and friends react.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a good plan.

I'll try and do this hopefully I won't get distracted

Benefit and fear.

Pick.

Benefit and fear.

Pick.

ReputationRep:
    Leaving things to last minute is just so typical of me

Fingers crossed we can sort this issue out

(Original post by strontium-)
    Me, I've procrastinated revision so much for my mid term tests.

I try this and sometimes it works but the times it doesn't I leave it to the last minute.

ReputationRep:
    That's actually a really good way of thinking about it THANK YOU

OK how about thinking of all the people you dont like at school doing well and going off to uni, but leaving you behind to stack shelves because you couldnt be bothered. Think how your parents and friends react.

ReputationRep:
    100% bro

(Original post by moda110)
    couldn't agree more tbf, the thing is once you start revising, and accomplish something after that (good grade in test) you'll feel good. Now think of this in a wider sense: future job - something you like, good salary etc - all comes from revision starting now

ReputationRep:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-sfG8BV8wU

ReputationRep:
    When I feel demotivated I think about how **** my life will be if I don't succeed and work a boring 9-5 my whole life and live in debt my whole life and have an average house, average family, average friends. Quite a depressing thought, but it works.

ReputationRep:
    Watch some motivational videos on YouTube every now and again- les Brown is pretty upbeat and motivational he’s my main source of motivation

ReputationRep:

Yup hoping for the best xD
    good luck
    • Very Important Poster

You are at a stage in where messing things up like this has serious consequences, which is why its best not to do it. Next year there will be a number of poster who left revision too late and post here in a panic. Dont be one of them.

ReputationRep:
    I just think of my goal (medicine) and think how crap I'd feel if the person I dislike the most got my place instead because I didn't do as well as I could have.

ReputationRep:
    yeah that would annoy me as well

Thanks for the advice
    (Original post by Nikey)
    I just think of my goal (medicine) and think how crap I'd feel if the person I dislike the most got my place instead because I didn't do as well as I could have.

ReputationRep:
    true true

thank you

You are at a stage in where messing things up like this has serious consequences, which is why its best not to do it. Next year there will be a number of poster who left revision too late and post here in a panic. Dont be one of them.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's true, when I watch stuff like that it really puts things in perspective

thanks for the advice! )))

(Original post by leverarch)
    Watch some motivational videos on YouTube every now and again- les Brown is pretty upbeat and motivational he’s my main source of motivation
    (Original post by ineedthosegrades)
    When I feel demotivated I think about how **** my life will be if I don't succeed and work a boring 9-5 my whole life and live in debt my whole life and have an average house, average family, average friends. Quite a depressing thought, but it works.

ReputationRep:

Personally, when I revise I like to put in my headphones and listen to motivational speeches. I'll tell you a channel to listen to below. It works for some people, some people cant work with noise at all but it depends on you. Also, you might wanna try to put your phone on silent or aeroplane mode. I know how it feels to fell distracted, one min an educational video, then some interview with the dead, then a video about cute lions roaring and you're just like "how'd I get here?"
    Anyway, the channels are called: Motivation2Study & ProjectElon.
    (It'll also come up if you type: Motivational speeches.)

ReputationRep:
    OMG I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!

• :fisheye:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.