Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Applying to Imperial for Mechanical Engineering Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I have sent off my university application via UCAS about a week ago. I have applied for mechanical engineering at Imperial College London and I was wondering how likely it would be for me to get an offer. I am doing 4 A Levels which are Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics

GCSEs: 10A* and 2A including A^ in further maths

A Level predictions: A*A*A*A*

For my AS Levels I only did my maths and further modules as external results and did physics and chemistry as internal exams where I got high As in both of them (highest in my class for both). I did 6 maths modules for AS and I got 100 ums in all of C1, C2, C3, C4 and a 95 in M2 - I got my referee to mention my ums scores in the reference. For fp1 I got a B grade as I had a bad exam but overall I got As in both maths and Further for AS so far.

How likely would I be to get an offer and should I be expecting an interview (I am British living in the UK).

Thanks guys
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I genuinely can't even tell the difference between troll threads, and those by students who are allegedly able to get extraordinary results but lack the ability to critically appraise these in terms of nationwide trends, anymore.

ReputationRep:
    you have a very very
    very very
    very very
    very very
    very very
    very very
    very very
    very very
    very very
    very very
    very very
    very
    high chance of getting in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    I genuinely can't even tell the difference between troll threads, and those by students who are allegedly able to get extraordinary results but lack the ability to critically appraise these in terms of nationwide trends, anymore.
    huh? No lol I'm not trolling, Mechanical Engineering is one of the most competitive courses at Imperial as far as I am aware. It was a genuine question xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymouspsych)
    huh? No lol I'm not trolling, Mechanical Engineering is one of the most competitive courses at Imperial as far as I am aware. It was a genuine question xD
    You meet or exceed every single entry requirement, your GCSEs are near-perfect and you've been predicted the highest grades you could possibly have been predicted for A2. How can you be that academic yet lack the insight into knowing your application couldn't be any better and you therefore have an extremely high chance of getting an offer (on the assumption you're not trolling)?

ReputationRep:
    You'll get an offer as long as you don't **** up your interview, funnily enough despite mech eng having more applicants the required grades are A*A*A, but for chemeng its 3A*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glassapple)
    You meet or exceed every single entry requirement, your GCSEs are near-perfect and you've been predicted the highest grades you could possibly have been predicted for A2. How can you be that academic yet lack the insight into knowing your application couldn't be any better and you therefore have an extremely high chance of getting an offer (on the assumption you're not trolling)?
    Thanks for the response. I think it's just self doubt which is something I naturally do and I wasn't sure how high the standards REALLY are despite what the entry requirements are on the website etc.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the response. I think it's just self doubt which is something I naturally do and I wasn't sure how high the standards REALLY are despite what the entry requirements are on the website etc.
    As I said, despite what the entry requirements on the website are you couldn't physically be in any better position than you are now; you've done exceptionally well at AS and been predicted the maximum grades you could possibly get for A2. They couldn't ask for anything else, it's just common sense. I'm applying to Imperial for maths and have the same predictions as you (with English literature as a fifth subject), though I'm not asking about whether I have a good chance of getting in because I already know the answer to that question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glassapple)
    As I said, despite what the entry requirements on the website are you couldn't physically be in any better position than you are now; you've done exceptionally well at AS and been predicted the maximum grades you could possibly get for A2. They couldn't ask for anything else, it's just common sense. I'm applying to Imperial for maths and have the same predictions as you (with English literature as a fifth subject), though I'm not asking about whether I have a good chance of getting in because I already know the answer to that question.
    I wish you the best of luck in getting in! I'm sure you will have a good chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SidTheSloth1)
    You'll get an offer as long as you don't **** up your interview, funnily enough despite mech eng having more applicants the required grades are A*A*A, but for chemeng its 3A*
    Yea I always wondered why the requirements for ChemEng is so high compared to all the other engineering courses lol
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Why do you think there are secret requirements the university don't want applicants to know about? That would waste their time and the time of applicants too.

Meet the requirements and an offer is likely, especially if you avoid smacking the interviewer with a wet fish. They tend not to like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone had a reply from imperial yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stellar2)
    Has anyone had a reply from imperial yet?
    yea I got an interview for aeronautical engineering this wednesday 7th

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.