Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My teacher has told me that I should apply for Law at QMUL because they ask for a little higher than my predicted grades.
    *facepalm*
    I do A2 Law, Business and ICT as well as that QMUL ask for A*AA and I am predicted AAA. 😂
    Is it it not literally 99.99 percent chance that I will get declined before an admissions tutor even thinks about moving onto my PS 😂

I understand a little that my teacher wants one choice above just in case I do better, but in my case it looks really unlikely. I would appreciate any thoughts/advice. What other unis nearby could I consider? Thanks.

Also, my main concern is really my subjects but also the fact that I am clearly not predicted their minimum.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Well, consider: what do you have to lose?

Unless all of your options are being applied to in similar ways, you should have at least 4 chances of an offer - and you can only accept a maximum of two of those anyway. Provided you judiciously select your choices, it shouldn't prevent you accepting a firm and insurance offer.

Whether you'll be made an offer or not is debatable, but particularly if you're at an underperforming school it may merit a second look by them, so...why not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    Well, consider: what do you have to lose?

Unless all of your options are being applied to in similar ways, you should have at least 4 chances of an offer - and you can only accept a maximum of two of those anyway. Provided you judiciously select your choices, it shouldn't prevent you accepting a firm and insurance offer.

Whether you'll be made an offer or not is debatable, but particularly if you're at an underperforming school it may merit a second look by them, so...why not?
    I understand what you mean. My school is known to be one of the worst :/ For me it was simply being a coward and not taking on subjects like biology, physics, chemistry, and history. All of which, I was always told to study after finishing my GCSEs. I still reaearch A level History and I am going to be bloody finishing my A2 subjects and leaving. 😂 Maybe one day once I have completed a degree I could go back and get an A level in History

Thank you for you advice I think it does make sense to just go for it and see what happens anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, QMUL doesn't 100% stick to A*AA. There are people who have got in with AAB, from the year I applied.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    Hmm, QMUL doesn't 100% stick to A*AA. There are people who have got in with AAB, from the year I applied.
    I see. So are you still attending university? If you did end up going to QMUL what would you say about what they focus on as a university when it comes to personal statement? Anything different to elsewhere?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragon5555)
    I see. So are you still attending university? If you did end up going to QMUL what would you say about what they focus on as a university when it comes to personal statement? Anything different to elsewhere?
    Nah, I turned down their offer and chose a university which isn't a total shithole. I just know people have got in with such offers, and QMUL has been in Clearing/Adjustment for law in the past, and accepting less than A*AA too.

ReputationRep:
    Why QMUL? Have you visited and liked it? You should probably check it out before you make it your stretch choice.

But other then that, I support the idea of one stretch choice, especially if you are at an underperforming school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crumpet1)
    Why QMUL? Have you visited and liked it? You should probably check it out before you make it your stretch choice.

But other then that, I support the idea of one stretch choice, especially if you are at an underperforming school.
    From what I see and read about I can tell you that I really do like Queen Mary! What do you mean by stretch choice? One that is very unlikely, right? I see now that there isn't really much of a risk in applying and seeing what they think of me.

What are your thoughts on (if you know of them) City, University of London? I have been looking at their course and I am interested, but I don't know many people who speak of the university when it comes to Law :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragon5555)
    From what I see and read about I can tell you that I really do like Queen Mary! What do you mean by stretch choice? One that is very unlikely, right? I see now that there isn't really much of a risk in applying and seeing what they think of me.

What are your thoughts on (if you know of them) City, University of London? I have been looking at their course and I am interested, but I don't know many people who speak of the university when it comes to Law :/
    I'm not fully informed, but I believe QMUL is more of a full subjects university, whereas City is focused more on business subjects. Are you only looking in London?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crumpet1)
    I'm not fully informed, but I believe QMUL is more of a full subjects university, whereas City is focused more on business subjects. Are you only looking in London?
    Yes I am only looking in London Thanks for replying by the way!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.