Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I’m going by “R” and this is my GCSEs story. I’ve always been interested in blogging and I think education is one of the most important things in the world, so I think combining the two is a perfect idea.

Subjects + Predictions:
    Double Science // 7
    English Language // 8
    English Literature // 8
    Japanese // A
    Maths // 7
    Photography // A
    RE // 9
    Sociology // A
    Luckily for me, I think I have a pretty good set of predictions which will come in handy when I start applying for sixth forms (which is soon!). Unluckily for me also, I’m feeling a bit of pressure to achieve them...

My best subjects (I saw best as I don’t necessarily have favourites. I tend to like what I do best at, simply because I’m doing good at them) are RE, English and Sociology. In recent years I managed to get 9, 8 and A*.

My least favourite subject is Maths despite my high prediction, since I’m terrible at it. In my recent test I managed to scrape a 4/5.

After GCSEs, I’m hoping to study English Literature, Psychology and Sociology (possibly with Biology also). Most sixth forms require a 6 in Maths to do Psychology, which is why I’m aiming it. As I update more, expect to read all about my struggle with maths. Daily.

Dream Grades:
    Double Science // 7-8
    English Language // 7-8
    English Literature // 8
    Japanese // A
    Maths // 6-7
    Photography // A-A*
    RE // 8-9
    Sociology // A*

At my school, Japanese, Photography and Sociology still use the old grading system, which is why the grades are in letters instead of numbers.

I aim to update this blog regularly on the struggles and triumphs of Year 11 (and possibly win a MacBook!)

- R

PS: I also dream about adding either Cambridge or Oxford University. Perhaps a bit early to be reaching so high, but I hope one day I can achieve it.

ReputationRep:
    never too early to reach high!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rrzz8)
    Hi! I’m going by “R” and this is my GCSEs story. I’ve always been interested in blogging and I think education is one of the most important things in the world, so I think combining the two is a perfect idea.

Subjects + Predictions:
    Double Science // 7
    English Language // 8
    English Literature // 8
    Japanese // A
    Maths // 7
    Photography // A
    RE // 9
    Sociology // A
    Luckily for me, I think I have a pretty good set of predictions which will come in handy when I start applying for sixth forms (which is soon!). Unluckily for me also, I’m feeling a bit of pressure to achieve them...

My best subjects (I saw best as I don’t necessarily have favourites. I tend to like what I do best at, simply because I’m doing good at them) are RE, English and Sociology. In recent years I managed to get 9, 8 and A*.

My least favourite subject is Maths despite my high prediction, since I’m terrible at it. In my recent test I managed to scrape a 4/5.

After GCSEs, I’m hoping to study English Literature, Psychology and Sociology (possibly with Biology also). Most sixth forms require a 6 in Maths to do Psychology, which is why I’m aiming it. As I update more, expect to read all about my struggle with maths. Daily.

Dream Grades:
    Double Science // 7-8
    English Language // 7-8
    English Literature // 8
    Japanese // A
    Maths // 6-7
    Photography // A-A*
    RE // 8-9
    Sociology // A*

At my school, Japanese, Photography and Sociology still use the old grading system, which is why the grades are in letters instead of numbers.

I aim to update this blog regularly on the struggles and triumphs of Year 11 (and possibly win a MacBook!)

- R
    The best of luck! Have you tried using Hegartymaths of Khan Academy to help in maths? I agree- maths is just the worst

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rrzz8)
    It's not just you. All schools offering these three subjects have to use the old specifications for them, given that the new 9-1 specifications are not being assessed through May/June exams yet.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck hun x

ReputationRep:
    mez_merising & Tate00 Thank you!
    troubletracking : I have. Hegarty is one of my favourite. I also use mathsgenie and ukmathsteacher. Youtube is a great help when it comes to my maths struggle.
    Carbon Dioxide : I thought that might be it, but I wasn't too sure. Thanks for clearing that up.

Hello again! I know I haven't updated in a while (not a good start to this whole blogging thing) but I've been pretty productive. Half term started this Monday and I have mock exams the second week in. These exams are English Language, Maths and Science. English is one of my best subjects. I'm not sure how I could revise for English Language anyway - perhaps I could write up about previous extracts, but I'm not interested/too lazy to do that. Before the end of term, we did a test on the first three questions and I got 7 out of 9, which was the highest in the class (not by much though, there were a number of people who got 6 out of 9).

I struggle with Maths a lot, as we have already discussed, but I've been focusing mainly on Science. I did well in all the test we did in class last year, but around my mock exams I decided to start revising for Science two days before the test. From that experience, I've realised I need to make notes earlier and then allow myself time to get through that. I do combined science and there are A LOT of topics to get through in each science. I have Chemistry and Physics first, so I've been doing one Chemistry & Physics topic per day. In Year 10, I was taught about half of all the topics so I've been revising all of them. Unless my teachers decided to be especially evil, I'm not expecting to see questions on topics they haven't even taught us yet.

I also have a Japenese speaking assessment three weeks into November. I need to reply the answer to a number of questions and I've already started. Tomorrow, I'm actually going to go outside! My friend and I are going to hang out at hers and eat McDonalds, which I definitely think is needed right now. Revision is very important but I also think living your life is just as important. To be the honest, I think I'm balancing the revision quite well. Hopefully I'm be focusing more on Maths when it comes to the weekend.

-R

ReputationRep:
    Today was the first day back from the half term. I have tests next week in English, Maths and Science. I've been quizzing my teachers for my precise information, as before the half term I was only told the three subjects and the week they would be starting. I had English and Physics today. I've learnt that I'm doing English Literature Paper 1 (Romeo and Juliet, Animal Farm) and English Language Paper 1 (unseen extract and creative writing). In Physics, some of the topics included will be Forces and Waves.

I got my RE test back on Christian Beliefs. I got a 9! I got my Sociology test on Crime & Deviance also, which i got an A* in.

On Sunday, I managed to do intense Math revision (I know I'm talking about it again!) Not only am I terrible at maths, but I find it quite hard to even be motivated to do it. I came across the Oxford Decision Thread from 2017 - a thread where those who got interviews from Oxford reveal what happened after, whether they were accepted or rejected - and it filled me with inspiration. Oxbridge is pretty unlikely, I know that but currently it's giving me motivation to work hard and achieve in subject I absolutely hate. That's good enough for me, even if I don't apply or get it.

I have my Japanese speaking exam in three weeks, and I really need to memorize the answers to my questions. I lost one of these mentioned questions so now I have to rewrite it before tomorrow, which is when I have the lesson. I also have to my memorize my actual four minute speech. I gave it to my teacher to mark a few weeks into September and she's told me she's going to return it tomorrow. Let's hope I can manage it all!

-R

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rrzz8)
    Today was the first day back from the half term. I have tests next week in English, Maths and Science. I've been quizzing my teachers for my precise information, as before the half term I was only told the three subjects and the week they would be starting. I had English and Physics today. I've learnt that I'm doing English Literature Paper 1 (Romeo and Juliet, Animal Farm) and English Language Paper 1 (unseen extract and creative writing). In Physics, some of the topics included will be Forces and Waves.

I got my RE test back on Christian Beliefs. I got a 9! I got my Sociology test on Crime & Deviance also, which i got an A* in.

On Sunday, I managed to do intense Math revision (I know I'm talking about it again!) Not only am I terrible at maths, but I find it quite hard to even be motivated to do it. I came across the Oxford Decision Thread from 2017 - a thread where those who got interviews from Oxford reveal what happened after, whether they were accepted or rejected - and it filled me with inspiration. Oxbridge is pretty unlikely, I know that but currently it's giving me motivation to work hard and achieve in subject I absolutely hate. That's good enough for me, even if I don't apply or get it.

I have my Japanese speaking exam in three weeks, and I really need to memorize the answers to my questions. I lost one of these mentioned questions so now I have to rewrite it before tomorrow, which is when I have the lesson. I also have to my memorize my actual four minute speech. I gave it to my teacher to mark a few weeks into September and she's told me she's going to return it tomorrow. Let's hope I can manage it all!

-R
    Woah, well done on the 9! That's amazing! And I'm so impressed by your motivation to revise your most hated/ hardest subject. I really need to knuckle down on the maths, but I've actually become scared of doing it because I know I'll get half the questions wrong. Oxbridge! I think you'll have a pretty great chance at getting in if you carrying on with the amount of effort you're putting in. You've got just as much chance as everyone else.

Good look on the Japanese- I'm always so impressed and fascinated by people who do languages that aren't your classic state school French, Spanish and German.

Is it your English Language speech you're prepping? If you don't mind me asking, what are you doing it on? All my friends did such deep and interesting topics and I complained about Michael Gove for three minutes. I thought I had to memorise mine, too (i actually went to sleep listening to a recording of it on loop), but it turns out we could just use prompt cards. Good luck for tomorrow, though!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by troubletracking)
    Woah, well done on the 9! That's amazing! And I'm so impressed by your motivation to revise your most hated/ hardest subject. I really need to knuckle down on the maths, but I've actually become scared of doing it because I know I'll get half the questions wrong. Oxbridge! I think you'll have a pretty great chance at getting in if you carrying on with the amount of effort you're putting in. You've got just as much chance as everyone else.

Good look on the Japanese- I'm always so impressed and fascinated by people who do languages that aren't your classic state school French, Spanish and German.

Is it your English Language speech you're prepping? If you don't mind me asking, what are you doing it on? All my friends did such deep and interesting topics and I complained about Michael Gove for three minutes. I thought I had to memorise mine, too (i actually went to sleep listening to a recording of it on loop), but it turns out we could just use prompt cards. Good luck for tomorrow, though!!
    Thank you! I was only two marks away from getting maximum marks in RE so I have an intervention starting next week to work on my weaker points (writing conclusions for my 12/15 markers).

To tell you the truth, I didn’t even know we did speeches in English until I saw it on The Student Room. I was referring to Japanese - we do writing, reading and speaking. I’ve rewritten the answer but I’m hoping I’ll find the lost sheet with answer already checked by my teacher. I had the choice between German and Japanese so I chose the latter, mostly because my German class was terrible (fun for us, bad for actual learning). I would’ve chosen Spanish if I was given that option. I do think it’s pretty cool to be able to read Japanese though!

I wasn’t expecting someone to say something snarky about the Oxbridge thing (“you haven’t even done your GCSEs, you’re aiming to high” etc) so thank you again for being nice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rrzz8)
    Thank you! I was only two marks away from getting maximum marks in RE so I have an intervention starting next week to work on my weaker points (writing conclusions for my 12/15 markers).

To tell you the truth, I didn’t even know we did speeches in English until I saw it on The Student Room. I was referring to Japanese - we do writing, reading and speaking. I’ve rewritten the answer but I’m hoping I’ll find the lost sheet with answer already checked by my teacher. I had the choice between German and Japanese so I chose the latter, mostly because my German class was terrible (fun for us, bad for actual learning). I would’ve chosen Spanish if I was given that option. I do think it’s pretty cool to be able to read Japanese though!

I wasn’t expecting someone to say something snarky about the Oxbridge thing (“you haven’t even done your GCSEs, you’re aiming to high” etc) so thank you again for being nice
    Oh wow, sorry, I didn't know you had to do speeches in a language. What exam board are you on- that sounds pretty intense, yikes! And I don't know about all exam boards for English Langauge, but for AQA you do a spoken exam on a subject of your choice, which wasn't quite as scary as I thought it'd be.
    I have to agree with you on the last one- everyone I've talked to on TSR has been so nice and supportive!

ReputationRep:
    My mandarin’s Gcse is old spec too. How are you memorising the Speaking? I have mine next week and (oops) I know half my presentation- you seem wayyy more prepared than me. Japanese sounds pretty cool, is it challenging? I’ve heard it’s difficult remembering the different alphabet thingys but idk Chinese doesn’t really have any alphabet. 😂😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toastiekid)
    My mandarin’s Gcse is old spec too. How are you memorising the Speaking? I have mine next week and (oops) I know half my presentation- you seem wayyy more prepared than me. Japanese sounds pretty cool, is it challenging? I’ve heard it’s difficult remembering the different alphabet thingys but idk Chinese doesn’t really have any alphabet. 😂😂
    I definitely think that learning the alphabets is the hardest. Japanese has three and kanji (kanji Is Chinese, isn’t it?) Then, it’s the grammar. The sentences are phrased differently to ours but mean the same thing. For example, instead of saying “I think football is fun” in Japanese it is “football is fun I think.”

I have 6 questions to learn so I’m learning one a day. I’m on my fourth one, so I should be done by the end of the week. Not too sure about my actual mark - I’m not very good at Japanese! Last year I got a C in my speaking, which is why I rewrote the whole thing. Good luck for your test!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rrzz8)
    I definitely think that learning the alphabets is the hardest. Japanese has three and kanji (kanji Is Chinese, isn’t it?) Then, it’s the grammar. The sentences are phrased differently to ours but mean the same thing. For example, instead of saying “I think football is fun” in Japanese it is “football is fun I think.”

I have 6 questions to learn so I’m learning one a day. I’m on my fourth one, so I should be done by the end of the week. Not too sure about my actual mark - I’m not very good at Japanese! Last year I got a C in my speaking, which is why I rewrote the whole thing. Good luck for your test!
    The alphabets sound so cool, nah in Chinese there is no alphabet- you kinda have to decode each character from the radical (like a small bit of it) which is funnnn. In mandarin saying when things happened is really different- I last week go to cinema is how I’d say I went to the cinema 😂
    Yeah I have 8 questions to learn! So I’m doing one a day till the day before when I’ll cram cram cram!!! Good luck x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rrzz8)

Subjects + Predictions:
    Double Science // 7
    English Language // 8
    English Literature // 8
    Japanese // A
    Maths // 7
    Photography // A
    RE // 9
    Sociology // A

Dream Grades:
    Double Science // 7-8
    English Language // 7-8
    English Literature // 8
    Japanese // A
    Maths // 6-7
    Photography // A-A*
    RE // 8-9
    Sociology // A*

- R

PS: I also dream about adding either Cambridge or Oxford University. Perhaps a bit early to be reaching so high, but I hope one day I can achieve it.
    Nice! Have a look at my GYG Thread which I started yesterday: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...426&highlight=

I am Year 12 student by the way.

ReputationRep:
    I’ve decided to spend my entire Saturday revising for good reason - I have six mock exams next week!

For some reason, it was decided that two maths papers Monday was a good idea. I have Paper 1 first thing in the morning and Paper 2 in the afternoon. We all know how I feel about maths, so I’m going to be revising for those tests mainly, not just because of chronological order but because it’s my weakest subject.

I find out on Friday that my predicted grade when down from a 7 (A) to a 6 (B). I was the only person predicted a 6 in my class but there was one person who was predicted a 7. Honestly, I’m not too bothered. The sixth form I want to attend requests a 6 in Maths to Psychology and I feel as if I could actually got that grade. There was no way I was getting a 7, not in Maths.

We did a little practise Romeo and Juliet question in class at the beginning of the week and on Friday my teacher gave it back. I managed to get a 7 which I think is a good start as we only did the first question. I got the highest in the class in terms of marks and grade. I have English Language on Tuesday and English Literature on Wednesday. I’m not particularly sure how to revise English Language. I think I’ll be okay with Romeo and Juliet (I’ll probably watch the movie the night before, hello Leonardo Dicaprio!) but I definitely need to look over Animal Farm. We did it last year so I can’t remember a lot of it.

My Japanese revision has gone completely out of the window! I only know three questions. I need to learn three more and my speech. It’s a good thing it’s in two weeks. Once next week is over, I’ll be clearheaded and can focus on it.

For now, I’m just ridiculously worried!

-R

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.