Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    I am enrolling on Bsc(hons) computing and IT with the open university and have selected my two modules that I will be starting next year.

I have just completed the online application for the maintenance loan but something is bugging me and I am unsure if it is correct or not, while I ticked the box at the start ‘I want to apply for the maximum amount’ it only said I was eligible for an amount that was equal to the two modules I had already enrolled in for that year (start Feb).

It states on the OU site that I should apply for the maximum amount which is £6935.00 so I changed the amount that it pre generated for me to this amount just in case I did want to start another module and not have to worry about not having the funding for it.

Is this correct? It’s quite hard to explain.

If they do allow me the £6935.00 and I still only study two modules will Student Finance England recognise that I have only spect x amount on tuition still and not the full amount.

Thanks for reading
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi Envisage Me,

The maximum amount of £6935 is for doing 120 credits with the Open University which in your case could comprise of two 60 credit modules. This is the most the OU will let you do and it covers their academic year which runs for a full 12 months from when your course starts in February.

It you are intending on doing the full 120 credits this year then you have updated your application correctly.

Thanks

Laura

ReputationRep:
    Ah I only intend on studying 60 credits at the moment but may take on additional modules in that academic year, do I need to alter the application?

It currently showing Name:  33D9A03D-46FF-4FAE-BD5D-EA4F43F7D4D5.jpg.jpeg
Views: 15
Size:  17.4 KB

But the modules I am doing only come to something like 2500 at least he moment

ReputationRep:
    Hi Envisage Me,

To make sure we pay the correct fee amount you should only put on it the amount you are being charged for your 60 credits. If you want to increase the fee amount later in the year it's really easy to do you would just go onto your online account then select the 'change your application' link then you would see a link for a paper Change of Circumstances (CO2) form that you can print off and complete and send into us.

On the form you would update the fee amount the Open University are charging you to the total amount of fees required for the academic year based on the number of credits you are doing. Once processed we can increase your fees to the correct amount and a new Notification of Entitlement letter would be sent to you to confirm this.

Thanks

Laura

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant thanks Laura, shall I fill out the form with the coat fo my modules before or after I send my signed declaration to them so that they can reduce the amount accordingly?

ReputationRep:
    Hi Envisage Me,

It doesn't matter the order in which you do this as the declaration form is just to accept the terms and conditions of the funding it is not directly linked to the amount you are borrowing.

Thanks

Laura

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.