Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Doing some physics work and wanted to know what i would do for this question. This is probably the 100th time i've asked for clarification on a question....its ridiculous. Ok i'll stop rambling now!

' Calculate the energy needed to raise the temperature of 0.40kg of water in an aluminium container of mass 0.20kg from 15 degress to 40 degrees' btw the heat capacity is 900j/kg

Right.
    I know the equation and everything but i was wondering if for the mass i just add the 0.40kg to the 0.20 kg to get my mass. Also for the temp i subtract 15 from 40 degrees. My main question is...do we add the masses? If not, why????

Thank You Xxxx

ReputationRep:
    If you're raising the temperature of the water and the aluminium you should calculate the energy required to raise the temperature of the aluminium (SHC ~900) and the water (SHC ~4000) by the ΔT separately and then add them together.

or you could calculate a weighted average heat capacity of the combined Al and water based on their SHC and masses and use that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    If you're raising the temperature of the water and the aluminium you should calculate the energy required to raise the temperature of the aluminium (SHC ~900) and the water (SHC ~4000) by the ΔT separately and then add them together.

or you could calculate a weighted average heat capacity of the combined Al and water based on their SHC and masses and use that.
    Ohhhh i seee! Thank you!!!! Xxx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.