Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to go into naval architecture as a career but i have opted out of doing sixth form is there any way around this and if so how and what do i do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yazzy124)
    I want to go into naval architecture as a career but i have opted out of doing sixth form is there any way around this and if so how and what do i do?
    Obviously a career in naval architecture could mean many things from very practical hands on construction/repair roles through to professional engineering roles.
    With a GCSE level education you could look for an apprenticeship that would enable you to start at the bottom and work your way up.
    Most of the really interesting jobs are graduate level careers that would require a university education. I don't know if a very high level apprenticeship is a possible route.
    HTTPS://www.rina.org.uk/careers_in_n...hitecture.html

If your ability/GCSE results are of a high enough standard, you can either find a way to complete relevant A levels (possibly as an independent candidate) or successfully complete an access course designed to meet the entry requirements of a suitable MEng or BEng programme.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Southampton has an engineering foundation year which is linked to their Ship Science/Naval Architecture courses. This is to train as an engineer, not a sailor, technician, mechanic etc.

There may be relevant apprenticeships at e.g. Rolls Royce in the engineering vein. You certainly could pursue more technician oriented training through apprenticeships, although it's likely to be unrelated to ship maintenance initially and you would need to parlay this into the career of choice. There theoretically apprenticeships to train to become a shipwright, although such things are few and far between as this is something of a niche area really...you may also be able to pursue some relevant things through the Navy, if you so desired...

Is there a reason you can't just go into a 6th form course now and pick up the relevant qualifications...?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.