Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there -

I am studying for my maths exam in November at the moment and I can't find a way that works for me. At the moment I am just making notes on the methods of each topic and trying to learn it however this means I find it hard to put them into practice. I know past papers are probably a good option but I find it really hard to understand the mark scheme if I get an answer wrong. Any tips?

ReputationRep:
    Go on my maths it’s got methods and everything
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    1. Find out how you learn - are you visual, audio or kinesthetic. Once you know you can work out a memory system.

I'm a visual learner so I use acronyms, memory palaces and mind maps. I'll work out systems that help me remember. Today I worked on the 4 main angles, so I put them in order of size, so Acute (cutee), then Right (90), then I know the Reflex covers everything after 180 degrees thus the Obtuse is in between that and the Right. I also played around with things like a cuttee small, right 90 road, obtuse inner and reflex outer.

Audios would need to say things out loud, while the kinesthetic would need to walk around the room repeating the information.

Just experiment with what you know works and keep to it.

PS There is a big piece on memory and learning in the book Introduction to Psychology by Atkinson and Atkinson, have a look in the library for it, if you have further problems.

ReputationRep:
    Past papers 100%. They are good once you know how to work answers out
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Definitely use past papers! Look up model answers or marked answers of the exam paper if you can't understand the mark scheme. Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    If you can't mark it yourself then bring it to a teacher to help you understand where you went wrong, and if they are kind enough they can mark it for you and tell you yourself.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.