Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

unhealthy, healthy coping mechanisms? Watch

ReputationRep:
    i feel depressed, ive quit drugs, alcohol, smoking and self harmin. What can I do thats gonna be equally effective in making me feel better? Ive done the whoe binge TV series thing today and im listening to music now.

ReputationRep:
    Exercise!! Stuff like running is super therapeutic for both your mind and your body! Congrats on quitting your unhealthy mechanisms too!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Studying and weight lifting are the only things which fully make me feel good.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. Toughen up and realise that life is hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluemadhatter)
    i feel depressed, ive quit drugs, alcohol, smoking and self harmin. What can I do thats gonna be equally effective in making me feel better? Ive done the whoe binge TV series thing today and im listening to music now.
    I'd suggest cracking open a bottle of whiskey, that's what I do to make myself feel better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glassapple)
    I'd suggest cracking open a bottle of whisky, that's what I do to make myself feel better.
    i want to but i dont want to get back into the habit of relying on alcohol

ReputationRep:
    Emulate yours truly without asking how

ReputationRep:
    Find something you enjoy. Perhaps learn a musical instrument or do sport or art. Maybe even video games. You can't think about bad stuff when you're absorbed in something you enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    make sure your sleeping schedule is Good. regularly go to sleep before midnight, wake up in the morning, if not doing so already. has a massive impact on mood compared to going bed late and oversleeping into the afternoon

exercising is great all around - chemically, physically, socially. if not exercise, then gaming is pretty nice too - easy to forget about your problems to focus on More problems you can acc resolve mid game lol

ReputationRep:
    Get enough sleep, eat a healthy, well-balanced diet, find something that makes you truly happy, go outside at least once a day, treat yourself every now and then (especially if you'e had a bad day), look after yourself, appreciate the small things.

ReputationRep:
    First of all, well done for quitting all the unhealthy things! Listening to music is a good start. Maybe get up and dance or move to the music. As some people have said, exercise is a good healthy option. Even just going out for a walk in the fresh air, maybe starting slow if you feel a resistance at first. Say, go out for a 10-min walk around your block or something near home. Yoga may be helpful also. You can find short yoga sessions on YouTube.

One thing that helps me is to make a short gratitude list. Think of and write down 3 things you feel grateful for in that moment. I always find it helps bring me back to the present moment. .

I hope these help and you start feeling better. Remember, recovery isn't one straight line, it's like a messy journey of ups and downs, backwards and forwards. Try different things, take yourself to an art gallery or museum one day, another day, go to the park. I also find writing helps me, whether it's writing down my thoughts or feelings, or writing poems or short stories. Making art also. I hope you find something or a few things that help you. 🍀

ReputationRep:
    Try different things , take a bath, read a book, go for a run, paint, listen to music, stay in bed, watch a movie, go out with friends, whatever kinda stuff makes you happy
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Take a look at mind.org and sane.org. They have some great advice over there.
    You may also want to consider talking to your doctor and/ or getting some counselling or therapy. Taking is a very good thing to do and can also help work out some of those unhelpful thought patterns that are feeding the depression.
    One very good form of therapy is CBT you can access it in various ways including with online resources. It's better when done with a proper therapist, but just using the principals yourself can also be very helpful.

Depression is more than just a feeling, it's a state of mind that puts in place and feeds off negative thought patterns. You can try to block out the feelings with things like TV binges and music which can be good in the short term, but long term you need to break that pattern to feel better.

ReputationRep:
    Put TV on the list of things you've quit

For me running and lifting extremely heavy weights make me feel like a virile caveman.

ReputationRep:
    Start going to the gym.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eden3)
    Start going to the gym.
    AYMEN brotha. Das some clean advice right there mayne.

The gym is really helpful because, other than the obvious of helping you maintain fitness, it also allows you to take your mind off things for 1-2 hours so is a good way of dealing with stress.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevin Hodge)
    AYMEN brotha. Das some clean advice right there mayne.

The gym is really helpful because, other than the obvious of helping you maintain fitness, it also allows you to take your mind off things for 1-2 hours so is a good way of dealing with stress.
    PRAAAISEEE GAWWWWWWD hallelujah....

mayne that was a REEEAAL GEWD explanation you gave right there. WE givin AWWWL KINDS of CLEAn advice...... AWWWWL KINDSSS....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fcukaylee)
    Exercise!! Stuff like running is super therapeutic for both your mind and your body! Congrats on quitting your unhealthy mechanisms too!
    This. I'm into lifting and all, but running truly feels like freedom. I'm not even exaggerating lol. But yeah, move your body - it gives your mind a rest and a chance to recover.

You got this.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 21, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.