UCL planetary science MSc Watch

dobiwobi
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,

i recently applied for geology (undergrad), and i'm happy with my degree choice and the career options it gives me. i am certain that i want to go into planetary science after im done with formal education, so naturally I looked at planetary science master's degrees in the UK. UCL has one but i'm worried because they say they want physics, astrophysics or 'related' subject areas in undergrad, even tho planetary science rly is a branch of earth sciences

does anyone know whether geology would be considered 'related'? maybe have applied or know someone who has?

thanks
artful_lounger
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Planetary Sciences normally requires a Physics background because it relies much more heavily on formal mechanics and electromagnetism than Geology.

A Geophysics background would be ideal, but Geology may be suitable if you can develop some core physics and mathematics skills. Depending on what Geology course you end up doing, it may not provide a suitable background - although a number do have the opportunity to develop this through optional or sometimes required modules.
Planetsandmoons
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hello, a degree in geology is perfectly fine for the MSc in Planetary Science at UCL. Many other students have a background in geology, geography or related areas. Many courses are geology oriented, you can choose from many courses, so you can select whether to have a more
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (84)
26.09%
No (238)
73.91%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed