Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys!

So I am currently in Year 11 and visiting lots of college open evenings. When I'm older I dream of becoming a marine biologist, and therefore taking a marine biology course at university.

But, I'm a little stuck on what to take for A-Levels. I know I DEFINETLY want to take Biology and Geography, but here's my problem - take Animal Management (which isn't in the specification for marine biology courses at uni...but the teacher at college said it could be used for marine biology???) or Chemistry (which I've been told is very challenging and I would need to take Maths A-Level with it...I hate maths...). I would REALLLYYYYY appreciate some help with this, as I've got mocks coming up and I'm really stressed and ahh...

I've also emailed a few marine biological societies to ask what they think, still pending....

Thank YOU!!!

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry does not require maths, obviously it helps but its not a necessity, i would go with chemistry.

Mainly because im biased and havent heard of animal management. Also i think they will teach u everything u need u just need to have the skills required.

As a result i would recommend taking chemistry as opposed to animal management as chemistry is viewed as a good subject to take.

Have a look at some top uni websites for marine biology and have a look at entry requirements and u will probably find your answer there.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry would be far more useful. Chemical cycles in the ocean are a key aspect of Marine Biology, and molecular biological approaches are increasingly used in taxonomy including in Marine Biology. Chemistry underpins all of modern genetics and biochemistry, which are ubiquitous across all areas of Biology.

While Chemistry is challenging for many students, if your intent is to become a Marine Biologist (aka a professional research scientist) then it is by far more useful. If you're more interested in working with Marine Animals, not necessarily in a scientific setting, then some form of animal handling certificate can be useful - but not necessarily required.

However not all Marine Biology courses (in fact probably relatively few) require Chemistry, so consider your ability to do well in that course in terms of your future prospects. An A in even something like Psychology would be better than a C in Chemistry typically - however if you did well (~B level or better) in GCSE chemistry areas, and didn't hate it, then it's certainly worth considering.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah chemistry would probably be good to take (for marine biology I think universities require biology and one other science).

I'm in year 12 and doing chemistry without maths- I think you can buy a revision guide to specifically help with the maths parts of the course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daisy2001)
    Yeah chemistry would probably be good to take (for marine biology I think universities require biology and one other science).

I'm in year 12 and doing chemistry without maths- I think you can buy a revision guide to specifically help with the maths parts of the course
    Thanks for the advice! So you think it would be manageable alongside Biology and Geography?

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry a-level wont require skills from maths a-level. It's really interesting and manageable if you do your 4 hrs independent study per week (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saxophonemma)
    Thanks for the advice! So you think it would be manageable alongside Biology and Geography?
    I took biology, chemistry, psychology and religious studies last year and I found it was definitley a manageable bunch as long as I put the effort in. So yeah biology, geography and chemistry should definitely be manageable as long as you work for it!

Also try not to worry too much about the maths. I hate maths and while there is a lot of it in chemistry most of it isn't too hard (and I managed to get an A at AS level so there's hope for everyone!). You definitely don't need to take maths A Level either!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think that would be managable if you enjoy the subjects and have a goal in mind for what you want to do
    I'm doing it alongside biology, English lit and history at the moment (but am planning on dropping one) and I think they are quite similar in terms of amount of content. Geography also really compliments biology and chemistry too (I know a couple of people doing them together).

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys!

So I am currently in Year 11 and visiting lots of college open evenings. When I'm older I dream of becoming a marine biologist, and therefore taking a marine biology course at university.

But, I'm a little stuck on what to take for A-Levels. I know I DEFINETLY want to take Biology and Geography, but here's my problem - take Animal Management (which isn't in the specification for marine biology courses at uni...but the teacher at college said it could be used for marine biology???) or Chemistry (which I've been told is very challenging and I would need to take Maths A-Level with it...I hate maths...). I would REALLLYYYYY appreciate some help with this, as I've got mocks coming up and I'm really stressed and ahh...

I've also emailed a few marine biological societies to ask what they think, still pending....

Thank YOU!!!
    Only physics basically requires maths. I think chemistry biology and geography would be best because they’re more academic

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am a Year 13 student and I have applied through UCAS to do marine biology, I must say because it's a BSc degree it's better to have 2 science subject, I've been to uni open days and they said Chemistry definitely goes very well with biology as it's like the central science, so what you study is basically Bio/chem in Marine biology - but maths is also good of course, but go for biology and chemistry, chemistry is easy but can be a STEP UP. I went from an E to a B so it was fine. but Biology it is chanllenging but if you love and enjoy it then you should be okay. I struggled at first coming out with Us but then at the end I got a B

ReputationRep:
    My friend has applied for this and has taken bio, geog and Chem and also hated maths - I will say she hates chemistry and wishes she’d never done it

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I have 5 offers so far for Marine Bio at Southampton, Plymouth and exeter.

I took Biology, Geo and Econ.

I’d say that take 2 science subjects if you can but most courses I looked at (certainly Southampton) make sure everyone is up to speed regardless if you’ve don’t chemistry or not. Biology by itself is a huge step up and I’m quite glad that I didn’t take chemistry because I know I’d really struggle!
    All the best

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!!

I am also wanting to become a marine biologist and I'm in year 12. For my A-levels, I took Biology, Geography and Chemistry.

My advice is that I would definitely check out ALL marine biology course and related marine biology courses to see what A-Levels that they require. I was quite interested in 'marine biology with oceanography' but that is very maths, physics and geology focussed which of course I didnt take which is a shame.

PS What universities are you looking at going to?

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'd agree with a lot of what the others are saying, however you really need to go with what you think is bets and what you actually enjoy. Just check that the universities you're applying to count Geography as a science I'm graduating in Marine Biology this year from Liverpool and studied Geography, Biology and Art for my A-Levels and it never became an issue for me. I've never felt disadvantaged having not done Chemistry, Maths of Physics.At the end of the day, if you do what you enjoy, you're likely to also get a better grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dani.Bayliss)
    Hi! I'd agree with a lot of what the others are saying, however you really need to go with what you think is bets and what you actually enjoy. Just check that the universities you're applying to count Geography as a science I'm graduating in Marine Biology this year from Liverpool and studied Geography, Biology and Art for my A-Levels and it never became an issue for me. I've never felt disadvantaged having not done Chemistry, Maths of Physics.At the end of the day, if you do what you enjoy, you're likely to also get a better grade.
    I second this! I do biology, geo and Economics. Universities will make sure you’re up to date with all relevant subjects anyway.
    As far as I’m aware the only uni I’ve come across that requests chemistry is St. Andrews

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.