Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I have mentioned this or kept it to myself? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey, basically I’ve had anxiety such as social anxiety for a few years now although I’ve never been to see a doctor about this. I have noticed that within the past year this anxiety is also turning into depression. I have mentioned to two people I know quite well that I feel this way but they just say that I am joking. They say I am lying and if I really did have depression then I wouldn’t spread it about and keep it to myself. By the fact that they called me a liar I feel like I am just over exaggerating and am wasting every bodies time and would be wasting a doctors time going to see one. I would appreciate it if someone could tell me if I am being a neausence to these people or if I am genuine. I feel like I am but I don’t know anymore!

ReputationRep:
    Heya. I know these people may be your "friends" but if that is their response then they are not true friends. Mental health and even concerns about mental wellbeing are never "a waste of time". I know before I opened up about my anxiety and depression I always would joke about it and say it wasn't serious; that mentioning it to a doctor is a waste of time. But it wasn't, I got referred and I'm getting help. As a society we need to be more accepting of mental health
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ecds)
    Heya. I know these people may be your "friends" but if that is their response then they are not true friends. Mental health and even concerns about mental wellbeing are never "a waste of time". I know before I opened up about my anxiety and depression I always would joke about it and say it wasn't serious; that mentioning it to a doctor is a waste of time. But it wasn't, I got referred and I'm getting help. As a society we need to be more accepting of mental health
    That’s good. Glad to hear you are getting help. Did you just see a GP?

ReputationRep:
    Don't tell them you HAVE depression, tell them you THINK you have depression. You should see a doctor or tell your family (since your friends were jerks).

ReputationRep:
    Well, they noticed my arms and then referred me. But yeah, the fact you think you are being a nuisance by mentioning it indicates that this isn't a flippant issue. Just remember that there are people who know how you feel and are here to support you. Samaritans are good to call if you ever want to discuss your feelings - look up their website.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ecds)
    Well, they noticed my arms and then referred me. But yeah, the fact you think you are being a nuisance by mentioning it indicates that this isn't a flippant issue. Just remember that there are people who know how you feel and are here to support you. Samaritans are good to call if you ever want to discuss your feelings - look up their website.
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LightTheWorld)
    Don't tell them you HAVE depression, tell them you THINK you have depression. You should see a doctor or tell your family (since your friends were jerks).
    Thanks yeah I won’t be telling them anything more. Yeah I’ll see a doctor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by username3588556)
    Thanks yeah I won’t be telling them anything more. Yeah I’ll see a doctor.
    It's good to know that you'll see a doctor. I hope you're feeling better soon.

ReputationRep:
    You definitely did the right thing in opening up about the way you feel. I know what this feels like, a similar thing happened to me once. As I said on your other thread, see a doctor then when you are you again replace your friends because they are not real friends.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.