Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I recently had an issue between me and my course mates. We were sitting in the library doing work but my mates, who by chance were black, were very loud and disrupting everyone's work around us. When the noise got to a level where it was not appropriate for a library I told them to calm down and stop acting like monkeys. They took my saying with such offence that they now don't want to talk to me because supposedly what I said is racist. It was not my intention to be racist, all I was doing was comparing their noisy behaviour to monkeys. Am I in the wrong and is it wrong to compare black people to monkeys?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andrey.3000)
    So I recently had an issue between me and my course mates. We were sitting in the library doing work but my mates, who by chance were black, were very loud and disrupting everyone's work around us. When the noise got to a level where it was not appropriate for a library I told them to calm down and stop acting like monkeys. They took my saying with such offence that they now don't want to talk to me because supposedly what I said is racist. It was not my intention to be racist, all I was doing was comparing their noisy behaviour to monkeys. Am I in the wrong and is it wrong to compare black people to monkeys?
    Yes.

/thread

ReputationRep:
    Racism causes so much drama in modern society makes it so that it is very easy for people to take offence to even the slightest things such as your comparison to them being monkeys. I don't think you did anything wrong as you were just implying that they were misbehaving as opposed to making fun of their skin colour but I can also understand why they would be upset. I guess the best you can do is explain that to them when everything has settled down.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    What you said was not wrong. Their reaction was wrong

QM

ReputationRep:
    pahhhahahhaha
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andrey.3000)
    Instead of feeling sorry for yourself apologise for hurting your friends.

If you accidentally smacked someone in the face you would still apologise. It doesn’t matter whether you meant to hurt your friends - you did so say sorry and promise to be more careful in future.

ReputationRep:
    There's something wrong, if you don't think so YOU ARE A OUT OF YOUR MIND. And im not even black

ReputationRep:
    Not monkeys. Apes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daddy Dagoth)
    Ooga Booga
    where da yt wimmin at
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to close this thread as it's not going to go anywhere good. But OP, I would listen to PQ here. You didn't mean anything wrong I know but as it was taken that way, you should apologise and if possible explain to them. You were comparing them to monkeys because they were loud not because they happen to be black! But it was taken how it was taken and you need to apologise. Hopefully everyone will forget about it and move on

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.