Badges: 10
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am currently a Mechanical Engineering student doing the BEng programme. I am currently looking into the Biomedical Engineering field and thinking of switching to the MEng Mechanical Engineering programme. However, I was wondering if it would be more beneficial for me to change into the MEng programme, because my university offers a module on Biomedical engineering and other modules related to it on their MEng programme, or would it be better to go for a MSc in Biomedical Engineering on another university instead?

I was also wondering on how important experience in the field would be? or if it would be alright to have any other engineering experience if I were to look into getting a job in the sector?
Badges: 20
Report 3 years ago
You can do the MEng and MSc?

It's not uncommon to do a masters after a 4 year undergrad, particularly for engineering where some disciplines like aerospace, nuclear, ocean/ship/naval, biomedical, and optoelectronic engineering are underrepresented or have only limited options available - usually due to the more specialised nature of those areas.

I believe that you can still qualify for the government postgrad loans for a taught MSc if you have a 4 year undergrad course, but I'm not 100% certain on this - I'd recommend double checking.

Doing the MEng is a useful litmus test, as you can take the optional module and see how you like it - you may find you really dislike the area, and it's a lot cheaper and less hassle than realising on an expensive taught masters course. Equally, it may well invigorate your and lead you find a specific area of interest for prospective research projects, focusing your interests which will likely strengthen your application. It's a win-win, provided that it doesn't affect your funding

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
new posts
to top
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.


Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (525)
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (643)
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (315)
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (72)

Watched Threads

View All