Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've looked at the course and entry requirements as well as accommodation but I just wanted to know some people's opinions on the uni.
    Do you think its good there?
    Is it respected?
    Is the area nice?
    And anything else you can tell me, thanks
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure Geology is only offered on the Cornwall campus, so that may affect your opinions. In terms of industrial connections and outlook I imagine it's quite good, seeing as the course there grew from the Cambourne School of Mines, which merged with Exeter and is now the department that teaches that course. For preparation for a PhD, outside of that niche I'm not sure how good it will be - while the campus has a number of related environmental/earth science departments and courses you may be able to borrow from, I didn't get the impression there was a great deal of variety in the core geology options. I could be wrong though, and either way, whether this is a benefit or a hindrance depends somewhat on your long term goals.

The two I know who studied on the Cornwall campus (for the Renewable Energy and Geography courses) very much enjoyed it and became very attached to Cornwall on the whole - to my knowledge they both still live there (I think they work in teaching now, funnily enough). However, it's Cornwall - if you don't like sports and outdoorsy stuff, there's very little to entertain in the area as I gather, and it's a very small township the uni is based in (although, a stones throw from a very nice beach I hear).

In general terms Exeter is considered fairly well, and most probably don't have views on the campuses separately. If you're more interested in scientific research than working as a mining geologist or similar in industry, then somewhere like UCL/Oxbridge/Imperial may serve better, as they have a great deal of flexibility in options (and you can still take relevant courses in e.g. basin analysis and so on here, to be prepared for a role in industry). Leeds and Southampton also have quite good courses, which I got the impression were fairly balanced between "basic science" and applied/industrially relevant options.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoe Lea)
    I've looked at the course and entry requirements as well as accommodation but I just wanted to know some people's opinions on the uni.
    Do you think its good there?
    Is it respected?
    Is the area nice?
    And anything else you can tell me, thanks
    Hi! I started this September and am doing physical geography (BSc). The course in the 1st year has for me personally not been that enjoyable, there is only one module that I really like and obviously that’s personal preference but the optional modules play a big part in this. Unless we choose 2 modules from another subject we’re automatically entered todo the human side and honestly I’m finding it hellish. The idea of having concepts and theory’s in human geography sounds reasonable but understanding how people define place and space baffles me. The University it’s self is very beautiful, it’s rural and the facility’s are good. Many people are very into sports and from what I’ve heard they are quite competitive. Obviously it’s different for eveyone but I’m personally not enjoying my time here as I don’t feel I’m on the same wave length as a lot of the people here and miss having access to good music events instead of the 5 clubs that are here, but this is good for most I just went out a lot for the past few years.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.