Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    So, I was waiting in a rainstorm for a taxi and there was no shelter. If I had found shelter, I may have missed the taxi. I was furiously trying to get in touch with people because the taxi was late and I needed to be somewhere. However, my phone screen now has water damage. It's lighter in some parts, and just looks damaged and my parents are not going to be very happy when they see it (I'm away at University right now). It has had this damage since around lunchtime, but I've just put it in a ziplock bag of rice. Anything else I can do?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteamboatMickey)
    So, I was waiting in a rainstorm for a taxi and there was no shelter. If I had found shelter, I may have missed the taxi. I was furiously trying to get in touch with people because the taxi was late and I needed to be somewhere. However, my phone screen now has water damage. It's lighter in some parts, and just looks damaged and my parents are not going to be very happy when they see it (I'm away at University right now). It has had this damage since around lunchtime, but I've just put it in a ziplock bag of rice. Anything else I can do?
    Hi SteamboatMickey.

Just a friendly reminder that this thread should be in the Mobile phones forum, found in the Tech forum. No worries - I'll just tag AngryJellyfish to get this moved over there!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Keep it turned off for a while and hopefully it ll minimise the damage done.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Keep it turned off for a while and hopefully it ll minimise the damage done.
    Would an (eventual) screen replacement help? How long should I leave it turned off? After waiting a while with it turned off and stuck in a bad of uncooked rice, would it be harmful to use it as normal again?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Would an (eventual) screen replacement help? How long should I leave it turned off? After waiting a while with it turned off and stuck in a bad of uncooked rice, would it be harmful to use it as normal again?
    What phone is it? If it has a removable battery, take it out ASAP - to prevent any further damage.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Depends where the damage is, i managed to get my old iphone to still work after leaving it a good few hours although you could see the damage in the corner so it's possible it could still be okay .
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoyalSheepy)
    What phone is it? If it has a removable battery, take it out ASAP - to prevent any further damage.
    iPhone 5S, my Dad's old one.

(Original post by claireestelle)
    Depends where the damage is, i managed to get my old iphone to still work after leaving it a good few hours although you could see the damage in the corner so it's possible it could still be okay .
    Thanks! The damage is just on the screen, everything else seems to be in good working order (for now) though I haven't been able to use it much for fear of worsening the situation.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    iPhone 5S, my Dad's old one.

Thanks! The damage is just on the screen, everything else seems to be in good working order (for now) though I haven't been able to use it much for fear of worsening the situation.
    Turn it off, wait at least 24 hours whilst it's drying.

I'd also check the liquid contact indicator, just-in-case.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoyalSheepy)
    Turn it off, wait at least 24 hours whilst it's drying.

I'd also check the liquid contact indicator, just-in-case.
    How do I check the liquid contact indicator?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    How do I check the liquid contact indicator?
    https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...e-base-142147/
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Okay I managed and there is no red light so I think its fine in that respect

ReputationRep:
    iPhone 5S, my Dad's old one. .
    I knew it was an iPhone!

Put it in rice.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.