Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Eau de toilette recommendations? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Try Creed Aventus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Internet)
    Thanks, but as much as I try not to be put off by looks of a product, this looks very unappealing to me (though might smell amazing)

Also, lol at this review "Could be cheaper" It's freaking £16 for 300ml!
    ermm it is an eau de toilette... what does it matter what it looks like ?

:facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    ermm it is an eau de toilette... what does it matter what it looks like ?

:facepalm2:
    IT doesn't look appealing to me , is all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somemightsay888)
    Try Creed Aventus.
    I wanted to recommend this as well but it's out of his stated price range.

(Original post by the_internet)
    X
    Tbh, if you want to have a distinct scent, then you're going to have to branch out and invest in nicher brands - some of which, are quite expensive. I'd highly recommend going into your local John Lewis or House of Fraser - or if you're in London, Harrods is a must - and try out brands such as Robert Piguet, Creed, Tom Ford (private blends) and Maison Francis Kurkdjian (to name but a few). The compositions of their fragrances are out of this world.

Niche fragrances I would recommend:
    1872 - Clive Christian
    Tuscan Leather - Tom Ford
    Grand Soir - Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    Aventus - Creed
    Notes - Robert Piguet

Niche-esque mainstream fragrances that aren't worn by a lot of people:
    Noir Extreme - Tom Ford
    Le Male Ultra Male - Jean Paul Gaultier
    Dior Homme Intense - Dior
    Spicebomb - Viktor & Rolf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Technetium)
    He can buy decants for 45.99, lasts ages smells great and is infinitely better than anything in his price.

Also, try the Tom Ford fragrances, Noir is good.

Another good one is Encre Noir by Lalic, v polarising though.

ReputationRep:
    He can buy decants for 45.99, lasts ages smells great and is infinitely better than anything in his price.

I have a love-hate relationship with decants. I normally get mine off of eBay but I often get paranoid that the seller is diluting them. They are a fantastic way to sample/own ridiculously priced fragrances though.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I tried a few out and think I'll try either Tom Ford Noir or Dior Homme Intense

Tom Ford also had an interesting tobacco oud. I did try both Creed Aventis and Creed Viking, then i realised the love /hate relationship I have with them. I like it, then I don't like it, as time goes on throughout the day. I like the fact it changes a lot but a lot of those smells aren't what I like

ReputationRep:
    Under about £60-£80 for say...100ml (200ml ideally)

I've had Versace Eros, and that was very cheap for what it is, but I dunno, I like changing it every year and that's kinda running out!
    Just go into your bathroom and get the water from your toilet and put it in and old spray bottle. Sorted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lepidolite)
    Just go into your bathroom and get the water from your toilet and put it in and old spray bottle. Sorted
    Errr. That's a different kind of smell

ReputationRep:
    This stuff is like gold dust, every person that I know that has smelled was obsessed with it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Male-Eau-To...ultier+for+men

This is a slightly different version and is the one I use, it has more of a mysterious aroma.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jean-Paul-G...ier+ultra+male

This one is great for a night out:

http://www.fragrancedirect.co.uk/bul...EaAmvZEALw_wcB

This is great for everyday use as it is not too strong but the scent stays for the whole day

https://uk.burberry.com/burberry-for...00ml-p34547031

If you want something cheaper then Mercedes and Ferrari Scuderia also smell very good for the price.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheJazzExpress)
    This stuff is like gold dust, every person that I know that has smelled was obsessed with it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Male-Eau-To...ultier+for+men

This is a slightly different version and is the one I use, it has more of a mysterious aroma.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jean-Paul-G...ier+ultra+male

This one is great for a night out:

http://www.fragrancedirect.co.uk/bul...EaAmvZEALw_wcB

This is great for everyday use as it is not too strong but the scent stays for the whole day

https://uk.burberry.com/burberry-for...00ml-p34547031

If you want something cheaper then Mercedes and Ferrari Scuderia also smell very good for the price.
    Thanks , I wasn't able to really try "Le Male" as the shop didn't exist (and wasn't in any perfume shops) I think I'm fairly settled on the two that someone recommended above now, but thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    x
    Ix
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    x
    (Original post by Ganjaweed Rebel)
    x

Try Creed Aventus.

Tbh, if you want to have a distinct scent, then you're going to have to branch out and invest in nicher brands - some of which, are quite expensive. I'd highly recommend going into your local John Lewis or House of Fraser - or if you're in London, Harrods is a must - and try out brands such as Robert Piguet, Creed, Tom Ford (private blends) and Maison Francis Kurkdjian (to name but a few). The compositions of their fragrances are out of this world.

Niche fragrances I would recommend:
    1872 - Clive Christian
    Tuscan Leather - Tom Ford
    Grand Soir - Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    Aventus - Creed
    Notes - Robert Piguet

Niche-esque mainstream fragrances that aren't worn by a lot of people:
    Noir Extreme - Tom Ford
    Le Male Ultra Male - Jean Paul Gaultier
    Dior Homme Intense - Dior
    Spicebomb - Viktor & Rolf
    Thanks. I went in to Harvey Nichols (Basically a smaller Harrods, for northerners) I did try Creed Aventus, and also Creed Viking. I have a love/hate relation with them. I've tried them before, and I'll love/hate them depending on the time of day. I do like how the scent changes quite a lot, but also changes to a lot of scents I just don't like

That, and I feel that I want to hit a nice medium in price too. Too cheap, and every one wears it. Too well known, and it get usurped by people who end up destroying the brand (ie: think Burberry until they finally recovered)

There was tobacoo one by Tom Ford, which was interesting

I liked Bleu De Chanel, but I was a tad alarmed by "It's one of our most popular items" So it's now a toss up between "Noir Extreme" and "Dior Homme Intense - Dior"

I have heard of Creed aventus before being recommended quite a lot too, and well I'll say this (and I can, cos...I'm Asian myself) You see a heck of a lot of Asian "bros" who do buy these (well known) expensive scents with their parent's money, and to me, that does ruin it a bit. I don't want to associate myself with yobbish people. I have ZERO issue with poor people before any one accuses me of that, and tbh the Asian "bros" can often be fairly well off too.

On another note, I've been given £60 love2shop vouchers, and £25 from earlier, so I'm off to House of Fraser again!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I went in to Harvey Nichols (Basically a smaller Harrods, for northerners) I did try Creed Aventus, and also Creed Viking. I have a love/hate relation with them. I've tried them before, and I'll love/hate them depending on the time of day. I do like how the scent changes quite a lot, but also changes to a lot of scents I just don't like

That, and I feel that I want to hit a nice medium in price too. Too cheap, and every one wears it. Too well known, and it get usurped by people who end up destroying the brand (ie: think Burberry until they finally recovered)

There was tobacoo one by Tom Ford, which was interesting

I liked Bleu De Chanel, but I was a tad alarmed by "It's one of our most popular items" So it's now a toss up between "Noir Extreme" and "Dior Homme Intense - Dior"

I have heard of Creed aventus before being recommended quite a lot too, and well I'll say this (and I can, cos...I'm Asian myself) You see a heck of a lot of Asian "bros" who do buy these (well known) expensive scents with their parent's money, and to me, that does ruin it a bit. I don't want to associate myself with yobbish people. I have ZERO issue with poor people before any one accuses me of that, and tbh the Asian "bros" can often be fairly well off too.

On another note, I've been given £60 love2shop vouchers, and £25 from earlier, so I'm off to House of Fraser again!
    I'm glad you liked Noir Extreme and Dior Homme Intense. Personally, I'd go for Noir Extreme because it is a more versatile fragrance. Dior Homme Intense is a little too intense for everyday wear. I wasn't too keen on Viking, but then again, I've never really cared for vetiver or patchouli in fragrances.

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford is a masterpiece, although, I do have a love-hate relationship with it because it can be far too pungent at times. A cheaper and tamer alternative to Tobacco Vanille is Spicebomb by Viktor & Rolf, in case you're interested. Bleu de Chanel is one of the most popular men's fragrances alongside Hugo Boss Bottled, Paco Rabanne One Million and Le Male by Jean Paul Gaultier. They're fabulous fragrances but it's a shame that they're everywhere.

I hope you find the one, do let us know what you decide.

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad you liked Noir Extreme and Dior Homme Intense. Personally, I'd go for Noir Extreme because it is a more versatile fragrance. Dior Homme Intense is a little too intense for everyday wear. I wasn't too keen on Viking, but then again, I've never really cared for vetiver or patchouli in fragrances.

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford is a masterpiece, although, I do have a love-hate relationship with it because it can be far too pungent at times. A cheaper and tamer alternative to Tobacco Vanille is Spicebomb by Viktor & Rolf, in case you're interested. Bleu de Chanel is one of the most popular men's fragrances alongside Hugo Boss Bottled, Paco Rabanne One Million and Le Male by Jean Paul Gaultier. They're fabulous fragrances but it's a shame that they're everywhere.

Thanks I couldn't actually try Spice bomb owing to my location but today I'm going back to try the difference between doir homme intense and tom ford Noir extreme on my skin vs card

Then buy it from House of Fraser at, using mainly vouchers!

ReputationRep:
    platinum chanel cologne

ReputationRep:

Hmmm. I've gone for DIor Homme Intense in the end. On my skin, Noire Extreme smelt what I remember one million to smell like (different on the card) The other thing is that the Dior homme intense allegedly lasts longer, so when you consider longevity, Dior Homme Intense wins hands down. I just now have to make sure to not use LOADS of it

I have to say though, I do put it on pulse points, so well..it pulses and fragrance does seem to stick a bit longer to me than others

I did manage to actually find Spicebomb btw, and I didn't mind that, but then I looked it up, It seemed to be fairly popular

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm. I've gone for DIor Homme Intense in the end. On my skin, Noire Extreme smelt what I remember one million to smell like (different on the card) The other thing is that the Dior homme intense allegedly lasts longer, so when you consider longevity, Dior Homme Intense wins hands down. I just now have to make sure to not use LOADS of it

I have to say though, I do put it on pulse points, so well..it pulses and fragrance does seem to stick a bit longer to me than others

I did manage to actually find Spicebomb btw, and I didn't mind that, but then I looked it up, It seemed to be fairly popular
    It's a fantastic choice, I remember when I first smelled Dior Homme Intense, I fell in love. Fragrance longevity is very much dependent on skin chemistry; so don't believe sales assistants when they say buy X, it lasts longer, because it's just marketing nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    It's a fantastic choice, I remember when I first smelled Dior Homme Intense, I fell in love. Fragrance longevity is very much dependent on skin chemistry; so don't believe sales assistants when they say buy X, it lasts longer, because it's just marketing nonsense.
    Ahhh I thought it had SOMETHING to do with that, but also something with what they said too. I think what put me off a little from Tom Ford Noir Extreme is that when it was on my skin (albeit not a pulse point as I stupidly wore the last of my eau de toilette in the morning out of habit), is that it smelt very similar to "One Million" buy Paco Robane

You seem incredibly knowledgeable on this though!

I also do know a lot more about...scents than before too.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.