Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can I research cases and include them in my personal statement or would it be better to read actual law books ?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure what you mean.

Of course if you're interested in a case that's currently being heard or appealed, or has been recently reported in the media, then look into it in more depth and explain why you found in interesting in your personal statement. I don't understand how that's an alternative to reading 'actual law books' though.

ReputationRep:
    Use actual law books to shortlist cases you might find interesting to read.

Read said cases.

Reflect on said cases.

Write about your reflection in PS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jess_1230)
    Can I research cases and include them in my personal statement or would it be better to read actual law books ?
    Cases are absolutely fine. In fact, law students are strongly encouraged to read the cases themselves rather than rely solely on the textbooks, especially for more important decisions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mishieru07)
    Cases are absolutely fine. In fact, law students are strongly encouraged to read the cases themselves rather than rely solely on the textbooks, especially for more important decisions.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Don't focus too much on the legal matter- they want to know why you want to study Law; not what you can interpret from googling a few cases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hxfsxh)
    Don't focus too much on the legal matter- they want to know why you want to study Law; not what you can interpret from googling a few cases.
    Well, they want to know why but they also want to see that you are capable of studying law. Therefore, forming your own opinion about an area of law can be incredibly useful to include in your PS, particularly how well you organise and write about it. Indeed, much of law can be gleaned from Google searches, but what separates the best lawyers is that they can organise such information into concise bundles and write about it in a dynamic way.

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.