Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

My names Emily and I'm currently in year 12. I'm studying maths, german and history to A-level and this is my GYG thread! (Welcome!!)

So... a little bit about me...
    I dance (a lot) and I absolutely adore baking so revision snacks are always fun to make! I'm one of the few around who actually like school, I enjoy learning and want to do the best I can. I took my GCSEs last year and got A*s across the board and now I want to keep that going and do as well as I possibly can in sixth form

My personal education goal is to get to Cambridge University. I want to study law at Cambridge and I know how hard it is to get into that course so I'm hoping this thread will motivate me to do as well as I possibly can.

I'm going to try and post an update everyday, but we'll see how that goes...

If I had to give someone one tip for revision, it would be to work out which method is the best for you. I find mind maps useful for some subjects and topics, but flashcards useful for others. Sometimes I like to revise with someone and sometimes it's best if I'm left alone - it's a case of trial and error to decide what works for you. Teachers often tell you a specific way to revise but your revision needs to be tailored to the individual.

I struggled for quite a while at GCSE to choose a revision method that worked for me and now I use a combination of activities when working and revising. I feel like GCSEs gave me the opportunity to decide how I worked best and now I want to refine those skills whilst doing my A-Levels. I'm doing the AS work at the minute but won't actually be taking AS levels at all.

If you want to join me on this journey then come along! I'd also love to get to know other people on TheStudentRoom better and if you have your own GYG thread, make sure to send me a link so I can check it out

Emily
    x

ReputationRep:
    19/10/17

Today my school had our annual sponsored walk. This meant I had no lessons because I was walking all morning and we get to go home in the afternoon. This has given me a free afternoon so I'm going to try and get some maths work done. I could take the afternoon off work completely because half term starts tomorrow but I'm going to take advantage of this free time and get some work done...

Emily

ReputationRep:
    19/10/17

I was proud of myself today. I accomplished what I wanted to, even though I could have avoided work this afternoon as my previous post said. I organised my maths folder and completed some of the work I hadn't finished in the lessons. I'm not sure how much I'll get to do tomorrow because I'm out at my grammy's house during the day and I'm working in the evening but I want to do something. I have some sources to read for history so I might take them on the train and read through them on the journey.

Emily

ReputationRep:
    20/10/17

I didn't really do any school work today. I went to my grandparents' house for the day and then I was at work all evening. I don't mind too much because it's the first real day of half term and I did some good work yesterday but I'm planning to get stuff done. I'm working in the morning and dancing in the afternoon but I often find some weird kind of motivation on Saturday evenings when I can do bits of easier work whilst watching Strictly Come Dancing and other TV programmes. I also have some films to watch for history and german so I might see if my family will watch one of those with me tomorrow. I've enjoyed today but I need to make sure I do some work tomorrow because I don't want to take too many breaks and then not find motivation again until I get back to school. If you're reading this, let me know when you feel most motivated?

Emily
    x

ReputationRep:
    21/10/17

I did quite a lot of work today, again mainly maths because I want to start getting it over and done with at the beginning of half term. I was at work in the morning and dance classes in the afternoon but I did some work during my break and when I got home. I have a few things planned for tomorrow but I'm going to try and start my german work and hopefully get some photos put on here because I'm really happy with how my work's looking at the moment, it's just a case of taking and uploading the photos...

Emily
    x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.