Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Had my first accident today... Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm a new driver and I just got my car 2 weeks ago and today I had to reverse to make space for the person in front of me to pass (was a crowded 2-way street) and while doing so I crashed into some truck. I panicked and went to see the damages and the truck barely took any damage while my rear bumper had some minor damage. Now I feel stupid because I didn't look at the mirrors but depended on the rear sensor which beeps loudly whenever I approach something but for some reason it didn't! Just heard people shouting STOP and then boom. I apologized to the person and he seemed really worried about me and the people watching actually helped me get out of the really tight space by literally standing at the front and the back of my car and telling me to steer/reverse... it was embarrassing 😓 I was really shocked and demotivated and it made me start thinking if I should be driving a car in the first place... I'm gonna have it repaired in the garage tomorrow and not sure what I'll do after that, I'm just too scared to drive again... Any tips?

ReputationRep:
    You can get extra lessons with your instructor just to develop your confidence. There is also something called Pass Plus (?) which new drivers take to help them drive under undesirable conditions.

I think it also comes with practice as well. If you drive more and more, you should get used to it and less likely to make little mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    It is alright man, just make sure when driving in tight spots you leave plenty of space in front of you for such cases like yours. It is also really common to have a car crash as a new driver so don't be stressing, just learn from this and be cautious of your surrounding at all times when driving. Doesn't matter if you look like some grandpa driver by being very careful, you will become a good driver with experience so give it time. Good luck!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kai8634)
    I'm a new driver and I just got my car 2 weeks ago and today I had to reverse to make space for the person in front of me to pass (was a crowded 2-way street) and while doing so I crashed into some truck. I panicked and went to see the damages and the truck barely took any damage while my rear bumper had some minor damage. Now I feel stupid because I didn't look at the mirrors but depended on the rear sensor which beeps loudly whenever I approach something but for some reason it didn't! Just heard people shouting STOP and then boom. I apologized to the person and he seemed really worried about me and the people watching actually helped me get out of the really tight space by literally standing at the front and the back of my car and telling me to steer/reverse... it was embarrassing 😓 I was really shocked and demotivated and it made me start thinking if I should be driving a car in the first place... I'm gonna have it repaired in the garage tomorrow and not sure what I'll do after that, I'm just too scared to drive again... Any tips?
    Why the hell weren't you using your mirrors?! Parking sensors are no excuse for stupidity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    Why the hell weren't you using your mirrors?! Parking sensors are no excuse for stupidity.
    The situation was just awful as the man in front was angry and I panicked. I agree tho, even my instructor asked me tons of times to use the mirrors but oh well... I learned my lesson. Probably will never go to that road again as it's always a mess.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kai8634)
    The situation was just awful as the man in front was angry and I panicked. I agree tho, even my instructor asked me tons of times to use the mirrors but oh well... I learned my lesson. Probably will never go to that road again as it's always a mess.
    Just because you've passed your test doesn't mean you can all of a sudden stop using observation. Imagine if a pedestrian was walking behind you; you'd have ran them over.

ReputationRep:
    You need to seriously chill out you always try to start an argument with everyone in this forum

ReputationRep:
    I've got sensors also, but I only ever use them as a guide to let me know how close I am to something I'm backing up against that I already know is there. ALWAYS use your mirrors and windows.

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually nervous that there's drivers like you on the roads. Parking sensors aren't the be all and end all. You NEED to be checking your mirrors. What if someone had started crossing the road behind you? You'd have no idea and you'd have hit them.

ReputationRep:
    Hey bro it's okay. That happens to a lot of new drivers. One of the reasons why people buy cheap first cars because they normally get dented and scratched because... well you're new what can you expect? I understand you're embarrassed but use it as a learning process. Next time check the mirrors and take things slower... seriously it's fine, everyone was helping you no need to be nervous, time to move on. You're a better driver now just learn from it. I've been driving for 2 years, I had situations like you described in my first month, now I'm confident because I've been through these situations and I know how to behave so that I don't crash or do anything wrong. You will too don't worry about it!

ReputationRep:
    Just because you've passed your test doesn't mean you can all of a sudden stop using observation. Imagine if a pedestrian was walking behind you; you'd have ran them over.
    Don't make them feel worse. Yes, of course that could of happened. But it didn't, no need to bring it up.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouLang)
    Don't make them feel worse. Yes, of course that could of happened. But it didn't, no need to bring it up.
    They need to learn that their actions have consequences. You cannot drive without using observations, or sooner or later, you will kill someone. It's fact, not opinion.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    They need to learn that their actions have consequences. You cannot drive without using observations, or sooner or later, you will kill someone. It's fact, not opinion.
    Obviously they learnt that when they crashed, I'm sure from now on they will be more careful. But I'm sure they don't appreciate people telling them *what could of happened* because it'll make them feel a lot worse. I'm sure they are very aware of what *could* of happened, but it didn't. They made a mistake, I'm sure you're not a perfect driver either.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Obviously they learnt that when they crashed, I'm sure from now on they will be more careful. But I'm sure they don't appreciate people telling them *what could of happened* because it'll make them feel a lot worse. I'm sure they are very aware of what *could* of happened, but it didn't. They made a mistake, I'm sure you're not a perfect driver either.
    Hardly a mistake - it was a shocking error of judgement. Parking sensors aren't magic; they're just an aid. Without realising the gravity of the situation, the OP may very well go on the reproduce the same "mistakes", potentially resulting in serious injury, or worse, death.

Each year, thousands upon thousands of young drivers pass their test and go on to have a serious collision because they think they don't need to observe their surroundings. Why do you think insurance premiums are so high for under 25s? The statistics don't lie.

ReputationRep:
    Hardly a mistake - it was a shocking error of judgement. Parking sensors aren't magic; they're just an aid. Without realising the gravity of the situation, the OP may very well go on the reproduce the same "mistakes", potentially resulting in serious injury, or worse, death.

Each year, thousands upon thousands of young drivers pass their test and go on to have a serious collision because they think they don't need to observe their surroundings. Why do you think insurance premiums are so high for under 25s? The statistics don't lie.
    It was a mistake, clearly they didn't do it on purpose! Oh let me just reverse into a truck! They will learn from what they did wrong, and be more observant. But they defineitly don't need people like you making them feel a lot worse and making them think about it more and having the thought in their mind that they could of ran someone over when they did not. Don't act like you've never made a mistake and haven't learnt from it. Jesus.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It was a mistake, clearly they didn't do it on purpose! Oh let me just reverse into a truck! They will learn from what they did wrong, and be more observant. But they defineitly don't need people like you making them feel a lot worse and making them think about it more and having the thought in their mind that they could of ran someone over when they did not. Don't act like you've never made a mistake and haven't learnt from it. Jesus.
    Read back through the OP - they voluntarily chose to rely solely on their parking sensors, and when they didn't work, the OP hit a truck. The did choose not to use their mirrors on purpose - they clearly stated that.

The problem here is not that they hit the truck, but that they relied solely on electronics inside their car designed to make parking easier - it is NOT to be used as a sole means of surroundings analysis.

This was not a "mistake", but a grave error of judgement, which they should be grateful resulted in minor vehicle damage, rather than serious injury.

ReputationRep:

Completely agree with this, OP showed a mixture of naivety and stupidity.

The only way they can truly learn their lesson by understanding the potential magnitude of their error, which could've been fatal.

ReputationRep:
    Read back through the OP - they voluntarily chose to rely solely on their parking sensors, and when they didn't work, the OP hit a truck. The did choose not to use their mirrors on purpose - they clearly stated that.

The problem here is not that they hit the truck, but that they relied solely on electronics inside their car designed to make parking easier - it is NOT to be used as a sole means of surroundings analysis.

This was not a "mistake", but a grave error of judgement, which they should be grateful resulted in minor vehicle damage, rather than serious injury.
    (Original post by King Leonidas)
    Completely agree with this, OP showed a mixture of naivety and stupidity.

The only way they can truly learn their lesson by understanding the potential magnitude of their error, which could've been fatal.
    Sorry don't agree - they are a new driver and in my eyes it was a mistake they made which they won't be doing again.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Sorry don't agree - they are a new driver and in my eyes it was a mistake they made which they won't be doing again.
    That's your prerogative - young drivers also have the highest repeat collision statistics of any age group, too. Some people don't learn from their first collision, whether you like it or not, that's how it is.

ReputationRep:
    You have no evidence to suggest this, it's more likely to happen again than not.

That's why IWMTom's point was accurate and appropriately blunt.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.