Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

i recently got a job at card factory as a temporary assistant but i received my contract this morning and the pay is at £4.06. Is it worth it? I have accepted the job but i haven't signed any contract of such yet. I am really confused as to if i should take it or look for another one.

Thank you,

ReputationRep:
    How old are you? If you need the money, I would take the job. Do you get any bonuses? If you impress, they might hire you for a permanent position and your wage might increase. It is also good experience for future jobs.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should decline it. Don't give them the pleasure to clearly exploit you. I am not aware what exactly the minimum wage is currently but certainly ain't £4 more like £7.5
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    The minimum wage is £4.05 for anyone under the age of 18, so presuming you're 17 or younger, they're entitled to pay you that.

I'd do it for a set amount of time and then when the contract is up, look for something else and you'll have the added benefit of customer facing experience on your CV.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheesecakelove)
    How old are you? If you need the money, I would take the job. Do you get any bonuses? If you impress, they might hire you for a permanent position and your wage might increase. It is also good experience for future jobs.
    (Original post by claudiorafael)
    I think you should decline it. Don't give them the pleasure to clearly exploit you. I am not aware what exactly the minimum wage is currently but certainly ain't £4 more like £7.5
    (Original post by utr)
    The minimum wage is £4.05 for anyone under the age of 18, so presuming you're 17 or younger, they're entitled to pay you that.

I'd do it for a set amount of time and then when the contract is up, look for something else and you'll have the added benefit of customer facing experience on your CV.
    Thank you everyone i went with my gut feeling and told them i wont be doing the job. There are no additional bonuses and the employees in the store are also all miserable. Not an environment i would want to work in. I am 17 btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claudiorafael)
    Are you sure?
    £7.50 is like over 25+

Also pay is dependent on your age and location can be a factor too. You can check gov.uk for the min wage.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I was wrong after all in regards to the minimum wage but nonetheless £4.05 seems so little.

Ultimately I believe you should go after a job you can see yourself doing with joy. If you need to overthink whether you should accept it or not perhaps you don't like it as much as you think.

It's like relationships, if we ask too much ourselves whether we should be with or commit to someone then we shouldn't in the first place because when we love someone we just don't think twice
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.