Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

My name is Thomas and I am currently studying telecommunications engineering in France. However, I don't like that. The subjects concern electronic and the leading of a firm. I am more a chemistry/physics student.

In France you need 5 years to become an engineer and the best engineers schools are not linked with the university, which means they are rarely known in the world rankings.

I first wanted to go to Polytechnique Montreal with a friend, where I think, I am sure to be able to be accepted. (My friend had the same marks than me when we were in last year of High School.) But I am not sure I want to go so far away from my family and friends.

So I though about United Kingdom. I contacted UCL to know if my profile could work, they said yes. Indeed I had 20/20 in mathematics, 19/20 in Physics/Chemistry and the same in Biology/Geology for my Baccalaureate. The only problem could be my English. I hardly got my FCE B1. The English level in France is very low.

Considering i want to do an undergraduate in Chemical engineering:
    Is the UCL a good school well-known in the world ?
    Is this degree good to work all around the world as an engineer, for exemple in the USA, where i saw the engineer are really well paid ?
    Is Chemistry a well paid subject for an engineer or not compared to other subject ?
    Should I do a 3 years undergraduate or a 4 years one ? I saw there is a lot of honnors by doing the 4 years one.
    What's next if I want to keep studying ? I heard about postgraduate but I don't know what that means.
    Do you have some others University to propose to me ?

Thank you a lot and sorry for all these questions but it can be stressful sometimes, when you don't know what you are going to be.

Thomas

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.