Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you deal with a controlling housemate? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my second year of uni and I moved in with my friend a few weeks ago. I can understand why she might be a little upset about me going home some weekends since we did move in together to be together, but she just shouted at me for wanting to go home this weekend to see my grand parents who visit once a year from Romania, they're only here for the weekend. I'm dreading telling her I promised my mum I'd go home and take her out for her birthday! I went home for my brothers birthday a few wwwks ago and she just complained that she doesn't go home for every single one of her family member's birthdays. She's a lot more independent than I am, and I'm very close with my family and I intend to keep it that way since it's my life. I feel that I have moved out of my parents house to live with another parent because all she does is nag! What should I do? I'd move out but I feel bad for leaving her. If she gets mad at me for leaving her every other weekend then I don't want to know how she'd be about me moving out full stop!

ReputationRep:
    Tell her to stop being so dependent on you. If you want to go home every weekend, how can she tell you what to do. You're an adult and have autonomy, she has no right to tell you what to do.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.