The Student Room Group

Feeling sad at university

It has only been a month since I have started university but I am really finding it quite difficult to adapt to.

I have not really enjoyed the course; which is largely down to my lack of planning before going to university. I have spoken to my tutor at the uni and she has recommended I leave and take up the plan I have back at home. However this a big decision that I don't feel ready to take.

At the same time I am finding it hard to make friends; I have always found this hard but more so at uni; I'm not a keen drinker and that is something almost vital at uni. I've been to socials and societies yet I still don't really have anyone I can even vaguely call a friend

This has meant I now feel rather quite sad; and have a lack of motivation to do anything; which is leading to a quite awful experience. This is a kind of a first step to finding a solution this I guess
Original post by MrBindo10
It has only been a month since I have started university but I am really finding it quite difficult to adapt to.

I have not really enjoyed the course; which is largely down to my lack of planning before going to university. I have spoken to my tutor at the uni and she has recommended I leave and take up the plan I have back at home. However this a big decision that I don't feel ready to take.

At the same time I am finding it hard to make friends; I have always found this hard but more so at uni; I'm not a keen drinker and that is something almost vital at uni. I've been to socials and societies yet I still don't really have anyone I can even vaguely call a friend

This has meant I now feel rather quite sad; and have a lack of motivation to do anything; which is leading to a quite awful experience. This is a kind of a first step to finding a solution this I guess

What course are you doing and at what university if you don't mind me asking? Honestly, university is not for some people. Its a big step to take, from moving away from home to immersing yourself into a new environment with new people! If it is not for you it is not for you. It is also vital if you decide you want to drop out you drop out ASAP. Otherwise the later you leave it you could be liable for paying more fees.

If I were you maybe I'd go back home and do an apprenticeship?
Hi what is "the plan back home"?

In terms of the social aspect, there are non-drinkers there at uni. I am not a huge drinker myself and I met other people who are the same. Attending socials, you won't make friends instantly, but if you go to the same events, you are bound to see the same people who recognise you. It does take time to make friends.

If you really don't enjoy your course, maybe I would make new plans for something else. You don't want to spend the next three years studying something you hate. You will lack the motivation to do well, which will be reflected in your final grade. What were your reasons for picking this course?
Reply 3
So; I am studying German. The main reason for this is as my family are from Austria; and I have always wanted to become fully fluent. However I had not properly researched the course, and what I wanted from the course I can't really get. So it isn't enjoyable at all really

I had always planned to study abroad in a German speaking country; however with A-Levels I couldn't plan this. I had to do it on my own as I had no support at school, whereas with UCAS it was easy and I ended up going with it instead of not going to uni at all

So a plan I have considered is working for a year; and studying abroad; I just really haven't adapted well to uni and want a break to sort out my life; but can't make a decision as it seems quite daunting and easier to just stay
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending