Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was talking to the guys at work who watch football. I don't really follow it that much. And one of them said there should be bans on how many
    foreign players can play in a english team, I have been having the same thought. Because good home grown talent will be able to have a go and we would have a stronger national team, because we are embarassing on the international level.

But I was thinking is it wrong, or possibly racist to think this? Or is it a good idea. China has a similar ban I was told today.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Problem with English football isn't an excess of foreign players blocking ways into the first teams - it's the youth coaching and set up across the country, an obsession with pace and power over technical ability. If someone like Iniesta appeared in an academy over here you know he'd have been bombed out for being too small and weak.

It's getting better at least, and the youth levels success over the summer is cause for hope, but you also need a management set up prepared to play the best side on merit, not select 11 big name players without consideration of how to fit them together - and that's been a problem going back as long as I can remember (remember Scholes left wing to accommodate beckham, lampard and gerrard?). Sort all those before you complain about young players not getting the chance - because they do if they're good enough.

ReputationRep:
    If you look at the England youth teams from U21 downwards, they're all relatively successful. The thing that stifles them is that they don't get enough game time at the highest level.

There are already things in place to make sure you have enough 'home-grown' players in your squad but nothing that makes it mandatory to have them in your starting XI (unless I've missed it).

As SLF has said, another major issue is the level of coaching, we are lightyears behind the coaches that bless mainland Europe. I am hoping many will follow in the footsteps of Jadon Sancho and Eric Dier and go and ply their trade abroad, which will aid their development, no doubt.

ReputationRep:
    Banning or limiting foreign players will just reduce the quality of the Premier League. Having a bunch of English players who currently play in the Championship or League one move up to the Premier League, will not make them better players. By playing against the best, only the very best English players will be produced.

As others have stated, it's the block where a player who is 18, needs to develop for the next 5 years where they are not able to play enough.

The imposing of quotas (8 homegrown players) means the top clubs stockpile talent as otherwise it becomes prohibitively expensive to buy them later. If you get rid of the current quota then the fees and wages of English players will drop and then more will play abroad or play at clubs where they will get game time to develop.

I'd probably copy the Spanish league model where a B team is able to play in the Championship which would give the top 4-6 clubs a chance for the youngsters to play competitive football week in and out to develop.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    I'd probably copy the Spanish league model where a B team is able to play in the Championship which would give the top 4-6 clubs a chance for the youngsters to play competitive football week in and out to develop.
    I am against B teams in any way, shape or form.

Our lower leagues are unlike anything else in the world. Championship has numerous league winners, sides who've been established in the Premier League for years, big clubs with huge global fanbases, even former European champions. I do not want those teams pushed out to make room for Manchester City or Chelsea reserves.

Would prefer if we just did what all the Spanish clubs do & insert buy back clauses. Cap the number of loans a player can have too - we have a goalkeeper Sam Johnstone who's on his 11th loan and is never going to get in the first team. It's pointless keeping him when we can sell him to someone like Villa and there's every chance he'd come back to the PL like dozens of our other youth players have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big_Jon)
    I was talking to the guys at work who watch football. I don't really follow it that much. And one of them said there should be bans on how many
    foreign players can play in a english team, I have been having the same thought. Because good home grown talent will be able to have a go and we would have a stronger national team, because we are embarassing on the international level.

But I was thinking is it wrong, or possibly racist to think this? Or is it a good idea. China has a similar ban I was told today.
    LOL, you know the reason why they get foreign players is bc our lot are sh*t?

idc what country they're from, as long as they're helping our country win

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    I am against B teams in any way, shape or form.

Our lower leagues are unlike anything else in the world. Championship has numerous league winners, sides who've been established in the Premier League for years, big clubs with huge global fanbases, even former European champions. I do not want those teams pushed out to make room for Manchester City or Chelsea reserves.

Would prefer if we just did what all the Spanish clubs do & insert buy back clauses. Cap the number of loans a player can have too - we have a goalkeeper Sam Johnstone who's on his 11th loan and is never going to get in the first team. It's pointless keeping him when we can sell him to someone like Villa and there's every chance he'd come back to the PL like dozens of our other youth players have.
    Give me a better alternative for young players to get competitive football to learn in the best way? The loans/buy back will only work for some players and even then the development would be so much stronger if the parent club can lead them/focus on how they play etc. It would be a more seamless transition into first teams.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Give me a better alternative for young players to get competitive football to learn in the best way? The loans/buy back will only work for some players and even then the development would be so much stronger if the parent club can lead them/focus on how they play etc. It would be a more seamless transition into first teams.
    I understand the argument and don't disagree, but I will never support it actually happening. It would kill English football.

Think the most realistic alternative is to do what City have done with Girona, just buy another club and flood it with your players. Watford did it a few years back when they had half of Udinese on loan.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.