Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

People are annoying Watch

• Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    This has been annoying me lately. So many people keep saying I'm a show off, and they actually say it for no reason. First of all I am not trying to impress anyone and just get on with my bussiness. If someone asks me something related to that I just tell them. Of course at that point get the "Quit showing off!" "Why can't you be humble?" Like wtf??? You asked motherfu****:laugh: Here's an example, a bit unrelated but it just came to my head. My accomodation wifi didn't work today so I went to the library to use the uni's wifi. This guy in my group chat sent a funny pic and I was in the silenced area of the library. I then sent a message saying Thanks for making me lol in the library. At which I got a reply of "stop bragging. Oh look at me I go to the library in the evening to study." Are people just stupid or what's the deal here?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like they're jealous that you actually take an interest in your studies.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaenerysT)
    Sounds like they're jealous that you actually take an interest in your studies.
    Idk, it's not only that...I get it with everything I do really. Almost like as soon as I open my mouth some reta*d will say I'm bragging. This guy asked me a week ago what I'm planning to do that day after our lectures finish. I said Imma go to the gym and do some benching. He said cool how much you bench. As soon I told him the number he was all like "wow you sure like to brag." *insert facepalm here*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shameful_burrito)
    Idk, it's not only that...I get it with everything I do really. Almost like as soon as I open my mouth some reta*d will say I'm bragging. This guy asked me a week ago what I'm planning to do that day after our lectures finish. I said Imma go to the gym and do some benching. He said cool how much you bench. As soon I told him the number he was all like "wow you sure like to brag." *insert facepalm here*
    They're basically asking for it! 😂 They're totally jealous. I don't see how you're annoying if you're telling them your plans!
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaenerysT)
    They're basically asking for it! 😂 They're totally jealous. I don't see how you're annoying if you're telling them your plans!
    Yeah that's what I thought too. Jealousy. Plus, I wouldn't even tell them anything, but they ask me😂 I guess in this world they want you to do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.

ReputationRep:
    Still jealousy.

Or it could just be banter linked to your personality. Maybe you're oblivious to the fact that you're more successful than some of your peers, so naturally they express their jealousy through statements such as "wow you sure like to brag". I'm just speculating here
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmiassa)
    Still jealousy.

Or it could just be banter linked to your personality. Maybe you're oblivious to the fact that you're more successful than some of your peers, so naturally they express their jealousy through statements such as "wow you sure like to brag". I'm just speculating here
    I think you hit the jackpot. That must be it. But you know, I'm an open minded person and to me it doesn't matter how succesful others around me are. They could be as succesful as Bill Gates or on the other end of the scale and I wouldn't care, still would treat them the same. But I noticed some individuals are OBSSESSED with other people's success. In my case I sometimes even get "friends" who refer to themselves as my rivals or challenge me to things in which I am objectively ahead of them. I find this funny because I am not competing against anyone but myself.

ReputationRep:
    This has been annoying me lately. So many people keep saying I'm a show off, and they actually say it for no reason. First of all I am not trying to impress anyone and just get on with my bussiness. If someone asks me something related to that I just tell them. Of course at that point get the "Quit showing off!" "Why can't you be humble?" Like wtf??? You asked motherfu****:laugh: Here's an example, a bit unrelated but it just came to my head. My accomodation wifi didn't work today so I went to the library to use the uni's wifi. This guy in my group chat sent a funny pic and I was in the silenced area of the library. I then sent a message saying Thanks for making me lol in the library. At which I got a reply of "stop bragging. Oh look at me I go to the library in the evening to study." Are people just stupid or what's the deal here?
    Woah, which university do you go to?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I think you hit the jackpot. That must be it. But you know, I'm an open minded person and to me it doesn't matter how succesful others around me are. They could be as succesful as Bill Gates or on the other end of the scale and I wouldn't care, still would treat them the same. But I noticed some individuals are OBSSESSED with other people's success. In my case I sometimes even get "friends" who refer to themselves as my rivals or challenge me to things in which I am objectively ahead of them. I find this funny because I am not competing against anyone but myself.
    I guess some people distract themselves from their own lives by obsessing with other people. It's just human nature, even explains why some of us are so obsessed with celebrities (off topic)

Other people probably see themselves as your rivals because they may be the competitive type, and it may motivating to them.

You just have to be aware that everyone is always gonna be at a different level or stage in their life but as long as you value them as your friend then that shouldn't matter. Otherwise you have to ask yourself why you are friends with these people in the first place.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmiassa)
    I guess some people distract themselves from their own lives by obsessing with other people. It's just human nature, even explains why some of us are so obsessed with celebrities (off topic)

Other people probably see themselves as your rivals because they may be the competitive type, and it may motivating to them.

You just have to be aware that everyone is always gonna be at a different level or stage in their life but as long as you value them as your friend then that shouldn't matter. Otherwise you have to ask yourself why you are friends with these people in the first place.
    Well that makes sense. Tbh one friend even told me once in the gym, he looked at me while I lift as motivation. He said one day he'll get there. And the list goes on. And it's not only friends it's people I speak to aswell. But yeah I'd say my friends are good guys. It does annoy me when they do this though. Because reality is I am a pretty humble guy and it can get irritating if others call you what you're not (a show off), especially since they have no concrete evidence to call you that.

ReputationRep:
    uni is full of ******** social justice warriors and feminists

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry Bird)
    Agreed. You'd think people would be more mature at uni, but nope. Just as many morons present as there were in high school.

Burrito mayne it just sounds like jealousy... AWLLL KIIINDS OF envy...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry Bird)
    This. I could say whatever the **** I wanted in high school but at uni everyone is a soft ****
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nebuchadnezzaṛ)
    This. I could say whatever the **** I wanted in high school but at uni everyone is a soft ****
    To me it seems like at uni people tend to get all defensive and insecure if they see someone else have their life figured out already
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eden3)
    Agreed. You'd think people would be more mature at uni, but nope. Just as many morons present as there were in high school.

Burrito mayne it just sounds like jealousy... AWLLL KIIINDS OF envy...
    Tbh that's true... 1/3 of the people in my lectures draw sketches of the professors or make memes about them😂 And people get jealous of anything these days I wonder how they would react if I actually tried to show off :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he was just taking the mick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nebuchadnezzaṛ)
    What kind of uni do you go to? 😄
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salt Queen)
    Maybe he was just taking the mick
    Nah fam...they legit think I'm a show off. They say it all the time and sadly they are serious about it wtf I might just not tell them about my life when they ask. That way they'll die of curiousity instead lol

ReputationRep:
    Nah fam...they legit think I'm a show off. They say it all the time and sadly they are serious about it wtf I might just not tell them about my life when they ask. That way they'll die of curiousity instead lol
    Idk. Clearly he annoys you though. Is he doing group work with you so you're just stuck with him?
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salt Queen)
    Idk. Clearly he annoys you though. Is he doing group work with you so you're just stuck with him?
    Idk, sometimes we do group work together yeah. And also whenever I get something wrong this guy goes "Oohh you got it wrong"....da ***😂 Guess it shouldn't matter doe cause at the end of the day I still get results in the 90% while he barely breaks 50% ("You're such a show off!")

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.