Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have just started reading mathematics at Imperial and really need some help/tips.

In the past during A-levels I heavily relied on websites like maths&physics tutor and examsolutions to guide me during my study. I really liked the way you could tackle one concept at a time and it was so nicely laid out, it made life very easy. As well as this the edexcel textbooks were brilliant and very clear with it's structure; this is what you need to know, this is the concept, practice.

However now that I'm at university I find myself quite lost, I have none of the online resources I used to have, questions are disjointed and generally I often find myself asking do I know enough to answer this or not and I spend more time searching for things than actually doing them. I find university textbooks to be very poor, compared to edexcel a-level textbooks which had solutionbank which clearly laid out what was done and why. I'm lucky to even find answers for university textbook questions.

Lecture notes are ok but lack questions which I desperately need, I'm not very 'naturally' clever I really need practice or I'll sink very fast. I already find myself falling behind and this is supposed to be the basics and easiest part.

So my question is; What resources are there out there for university maths that are similar to websites I mentioned for example? Are there any staples that maths students use at uni?

I'm very worried right now any help will be very appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wanderlust12)
    Hi, I have just started reading mathematics at Imperial and really need some help/tips.

In the past during A-levels I heavily relied on websites like maths&physics tutor and examsolutions to guide me during my study. I really liked the way you could tackle one concept at a time and it was so nicely laid out, it made life very easy. As well as this the edexcel textbooks were brilliant and very clear with it's structure; this is what you need to know, this is the concept, practice.

However now that I'm at university I find myself quite lost, I have none of the online resources I used to have, questions are disjointed and generally I often find myself asking do I know enough to answer this or not and I spend more time searching for things than actually doing them. I find university textbooks to be very poor, compared to edexcel a-level textbooks which had solutionbank which clearly laid out what was done and why. I'm lucky to even find answers for university textbook questions.

Lecture notes are ok but lack questions which I desperately need, I'm not very 'naturally' clever I really need practice or I'll sink very fast. I already find myself falling behind and this is supposed to be the basics and easiest part.

So my question is; What resources are there out there for university maths that are similar to websites I mentioned for example? Are there any staples that maths students use at uni?

I'm very worried right now any help will be very appreciated.

Unfortunately, university level isn't like A-level where you will be given EVERYTHING including solutions to all your problem. You will have to truly grind down on lecture notes, and truly use your own initiatives to understand problems. I know how you're feeling as I had experience the exact same.

The way I do it with my degree is to look for books other uni and students had recommended online (e.g. for your Geometry and Linear Algebra module I'd heavily recommend getting Introduction to Algebra by Peter. J. Cameron), lecture notes from other uni (just type the topic name followed by '.pdf'), read it and try to grasp some of the concept (also try out Khan Academy), then try some questions (usually assignments). If you see that you cannot tackle the problems, askyour tutor for help and advice, or even see your lecturers during office hours. They are there to help you and will not refuse.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.